India is a union of States and Union Territories for the purposes of administration, India is divided into 29 States (Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Gujarat, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttaranchal, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, and Chhattisgarh) and 7 Union Territories. The states differ as to the size of the territory, population, languages, as well as historical, economic and cultural development. Delhi, the capital of India, is the largest metropolis in India. It has its own Legislative Assembly, Lieutenant Governor, Council of Ministers and Chief Minister.
List of Indian States
Jammu and Kashmir
Union Territories of India
Area wise the four largest states in descending order are: Rajasthan> Madhya Pradesh> Maharashtra> Andhra Pradesh. Goa is the smallest state of India in area wise.
• Puducherry (Pondicherry) is the only one Union Territory which spread in three states which is given below: Puducherry (Main) - Situated in Tamil Nadu; Karaikal- Situated in Tamil Nadu; Yanam- Situated in Andhra Pradesh; Mahe- Situated in Kerala.
• The Indira Point, the southern point of India is situated in southern tip of Great Nicobar Island.
• The Barren Island which is only India’s active volcano which situated in the east of Middle Andaman.
• Narcondam Island is a volcanic Island which is situated in the northern-eastern part of North Andaman.
• 100 Channel (100 N Latitude) separates Andaman from Nicobar.
• Duncan pass is between South Andaman and Little Andaman.
• The Grand Channel is between Great Nicobar and Sumatra (Indonesia).
• The Andaman & Nicobar Islands are also known as the Emerald Islands.
• 80 Channel (80 N Latitude) is between Minicoy and Maldives.
• 90 Channel (90 N Latitude) separates Minicoy from the main archipelago of Lakshadweep.
• The Palk Strait is situated between Tamil Nadu (India) and Sri Lanka.
• The Adam’s Bridge is situated between Tamil Nadu (India) and Sri Lanka. Pamban Island is a part of the Adam’s Bridge. Rameshwaram is situated on this Island.
• The Palk Bay is to the north and the Gulf of Mannar is to south of the Adam’s Bridge.