The World’s Only Hanging Monastery i.e. Hanging Temple or Hanging Monastery or Xuankong Temple is the best example of Ancient Chinese Architecture. It is situated near Mount Heng in Hunyuan County, Datong City, Shanxi province, China. It was built around 1500 years ago under the reign of the Wei Dynasty. Here, we are giving some Amazing Fact about the World’s Only Hanging Monastery for general awareness (GK).
1. Temple is called hanging temple because it is constructed by drilling holes into the Cliffside into which the poles that hold up the temples also it is 50 meters (160 feet) above the ground.
2. Temple belongs to the three Chinese traditional religions: Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism.
3. The entire construction of the temple was started by one man named Liao Ran and later on supported by other monks.
4. The temple was built overhang of the cliff to prevent the effect of floods or snow.
5. The bedrock is the main support of the structure and the platforms are made through Oak beam which are placed in chiselled holes of the cliffs.
6. It is not only symbolic of religion, but also represents the culture of Chinese feudal society.
7. The platform of the temple are designed such a way that the statue of Sakyamuni, who was the founders of Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism placed in the middle, that of Laozi (a scholar in ancient China) on the right and Confucius on the left, with different expressions.
Today, it has become a hot spot of tourist and best place for meditation. Most of the people come here to see the amazing and outstanding engineering works on the cliff. In the above amazing fact about the World’s Only Hanging Monastery will enhance the general knowledge of readers.