April Fools’ Day 2023: Date, History, Origin, Celebration, Wishes & More
April Fools’ Day 2023: The day has been observed for centuries, but its true origins are unknown. April Fools’ Day is also known as All Fools' Day and is observed in several countries on the first day of April. It is celebrated on April 1, 2023 (Saturday).
It is one of the most light-hearted days of the year and is celebrated by playing practical jokes and spreading hoaxes. The jokes and their victims are called "April fools."
According to some historians, it was first celebrated in 1852 when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, and some say that it is related to the turn of the seasons.
According to the most prevalent concept, the Romans in ancient times started celebrating the new year in April, while in medieval Europe, on March 25, the New Year was celebrated as a festival. In 1852, Pope Gregory VIII established the Gregorian calendar (the present Valid calendar), based on which the new year started in January.
This calendar was first accepted by France, but according to Janushruti, several people in Europe did not accept this calendar and were not aware of it. As a result, those who celebrated the new year according to the new calendar were considered fools by those who celebrated the new year in April according to the old calendar, and the trend of April Fool's Day or Fool's Day has grown since then.
Folktales associated with April Fool's Day
1. A long time ago, there was a funny king named "Moxer" in Greece. One day, he dreamed that an ant had swallowed him alive. When his sleep broke in the morning, he started laughing loudly, remembering his dream. When his wife asked him the reason for laughing, he said that "At night I saw in my dream that an ant had swallowed me alive." Hearing this, the queen also started laughing. Then an astrologer told the king that this dream means "you should live with the day laughing and joking" and that it is the first day of April. So from that day on 1st April, every year was celebrated as a day full of laughter.
2. According to another folk tale, an Apsara befriended the farmer and said, "If you drink a pot of water in one breath, I will give you a boon." The toiling farmer immediately picked up a pot full of water and drank it in one breath and asked Apsara for a boon. She said: "You are very innocent. From today I give you a boon that you will make people laugh with your clever words." Then, from that time, farmers started making people laugh, and due to this, a festival of laughter was born, which we call Fool's Day.
3. Once upon a time, there was a king in Spain named "Mounto Ber". One day, he announced a contest in which he told people that whoever wrote the truest lies would be rewarded. On the day of the contest, thousands of letters of "true lies" came to the king, but the king was not satisfied with the letters. In the end, a girl came and said, "Maharaja, I am dumb and blind." Hearing this, the king was confused and asked: "What proof do you have that you are really blind?" Then the girl said, "You can see the tree that has been planted in front of the palace, but I can’t." The king laughed a lot at this. He gave the girl the prize for the false joke and announced among the people that now we will celebrate Fool's Day on April 1st every year. Since then, this tradition has started.
READ| Odisha Foundation Day
4. Four friends lived in the city of Athens in BC. One of them considered himself very intelligent, and he enjoyed degrading others. Therefore, the other three friends got together and thought of a trick and told him that last night a unique dream appeared. In the dream, we saw a goddess standing in front of us, saying that a divine light would appear on the top of the hill tomorrow night and give the desired blessing, so you must come there with all your friends.
The friend, who considers himself intelligent, believed in his other friends' dreams. At a certain time, he reached the top of the mountain along with some other people to see the divine light, and other friends hid themselves to see his intelligent friend's foolishness. Slowly, slowly, the crowd started to grow, and the moon and stars also started shining in the sky, but there was no sight of the divine light, nor did they show any names. The day was April 1, and from that day, the practice of fooling started every year in Athens. Later, gradually, other countries also adopted it and started fooling their acquaintances on April 1. This is how April Fool's Day was born.
Events on the occasion of April Fools’ Day
1. On the occasion of "April Fools’ Day," there is an exciting programme of fools, poets, and satirists in France. This programme runs continuously for 7 days. The youth participating in this fun event are required to wear a girl's dress, and the person who is being fooled is rewarded.
2. In China and France, there is a tradition of sending colourful parcels and distributing sweets on the occasion of "April Fools’ Day". Children laugh a lot on this day. People wear masks of wild animals and intimidate visitors.
3. The event, held on the occasion of "April Fools’ Day" in Rome, lasts for 7 days and is fooled by sending a coloured parcel like China.
4. On "April Fools’ Day" in Japan, children fly a kite by writing a proclamation, and the person seeking a kite becomes an "April Fool".
5. In England, on the occasion of "April Fools’ Day," various entertaining and interesting programmes are held. In this program, people are fooled by singing silly songs.
6. In Scotland, "April Fools’ Day" is known as "Hunting the Cool". On this day, "cock stealing" is a special tradition here. The chicken owner also does not mind it. Apart from this, people fool each other by finding new ways.
April Fools' Day 2023: Wishes & Messages
- Be original and inventive while making jokes and pulling practical jokes on those around you. Best wishes on April 1st to you.
- The ideal time to ask a girl out is right now! If he made changes, that's great; if not, have fun with April Fool's Day!
- You are so foolish if you don't celebrate April Fool's Day because it honours the inner fool we all possess. Happy April Fool’s Day to you.
- What distinguishes an intelligent person from a fool? An idiot keeps reading text messages that the smart sends. Have you seen my messages any other times?
- Your elbow cannot be touched with your tongue. And if you simply attempt to do so, you are undoubtedly a fool. A very Happy April Fool's Day to you.
- The momentous day has come. With your loved ones, have a little fun and laugh a little. Fool's Day
- Happy April 1st, everyone! May you never be too old to still respect your inner child!