The Asian Mekong Development Co-operation (Mekong Group) is an association of Southeast Asian countries i.e. Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. It was formed with the common agreed objectives such as:
• To co-operate in the economic and social development of the Mekong Basin Area.
• Strengthen the link between the group and Asian member states through the process of dialogue and identification of common projects.
Objectives of Mekong Group
• To develop infrastructure capacities in the areas of transport, telecommunications, irrigation and energy.
• To develop trade and investment generating activities.
• To develop agricultural sector that enhance production for domestic consumption and expert.
• To develop sustainability of forestry resources.
• To develop mineral resources.
• To develop the industrial sector especially small and medium enterprises.
• To develop tourism, human resource development and support for training and co-operation in the fields of science and technology.