Modern Bundelkhand was known as Jejakabhukti during 10th and 11th century and was ruled by Chandellas. These Rajput emperors were fond of art and culture and the temples of Khajrao (Madhya Pradesh) were built during this time. Chandellas had maternal relations with Kalachuris. Kalinjar, Mahotsavanagar and Khajrao were the important cities of this dynasty.
Rulers of Chandella Dynasty:
- Harshadeva was the founder of the dynasty. He helped Mahipala of Kannauj in ruling his kingdom.
- He laid the foundation of Khajrao temples. 64 Yogini temples were constructed by Harshadeva.
- Yashovarman, son of Harshadeva took over the charge as warrior and made an independent state for Chandellas.
- However the Chandellas gained full independence in the time of Dhanga, son and successor of Yashovarman.
- Dhanga made political alliances with other Hindu Rajas and helped them. Thus becoming stronger himself by building strong army.
- The famous temples of Parasvanath and Vishwavanath were built during this time.
- Ganda the son of Dhanga followed the path of his father. He also joined the group of Hindu Rajas to fight against Muhammad Ghazni.
- Vidyadhara, son of Ganda was the greatest ruler of Chandellas. He conquered Rajyapala in 1019. Kandariya Mahadev temple was built in this time.
- Kirtivarman the successor of Vidyadhara was a patron of the famous poet Krishna Mishra. He met with a Muslim invasion, yet somehow managed to escape from it. During the attack of Muhammad Ghazni, he could not defend himself and the dynasty almost came to an end.
- Paradidev (Parmadi) was the last king who fought with the Prithviraj Chauhan. The battle was battle of Mahoba in which Alha and Udal two warriors of the army sang the song of Bundelkhand. The story is written in Parmal Raso.
Chandellas had a brief period of rule over Bundelkhand. Being a small kingdom they were dominated by other big and strong empires, who resisted the growth of Chandellas. Meanwhile the continuous invasions of Muslims affected the growth of the kingdom as it made it economically weak. The differences between Hindus rose during this time which laid the Chandella Dynasty to an end. The fields of art and architecture flourished during the rule of Chandellas. The Khajuraho temples in Madhya Pradesh have been declared World Heritage site by UNESCO.