GK Quiz on life of Mahatma Gandhi: Set 2
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian lawyer, politician, social activist, and writer who became the leader of the nationalist movement against the British rule of India. He is also called Bapu and known as the Father of the Nation.
1. Who is the author of 'Unto This Last'?
A. John Ruskin
B. Ruskin Bond
C. Hermann Kallenbach
D. Louis Fischer
Explanation: 'Unto This Last' is an essay and book on economy by John Ruskin. It was between August and December 1860 in the monthly journal Cornhill Magazine in four articles. Gandhi ji was influenced by this book.
2. Which of the following, according to Gandhiji, is an essential principle of Satyagraha?
A. Infinite capacity for suffering
B. Non violence
D. All the three
Explanation: 'Satyagraha' is the most important weapon of Gandhi ji. It emerged as a weapon of conflict resolution. Gandhi ji applied satyagraha in the non-violent struggle against exploitation, injustice and dictatorship.
3. Gandhiji's "The Story of My Experiments with Truth" was originally written in Gujarati. Who translated it into English?
A. Maganlal Gandhi
B. Mahadev Desai
D. Sushila Nayyar
Explanation: Mahadev Desai was an activist of Indian freedom movement. He is best known for his job of Mahatma Gandhi's personal secretary. He died on 15 August 1942.
4. Which one of the following books is the work of Gandhiji?
A. Light of India
B. Hind Swaraj
C. My Experiments with Truth
D. Both B & C
Explanation: The Story of My Experiments with Truth is an autobiography of Gandhi ji. This book covers life of Gandhi ji from early childhood through to 1921. It was published in his journal Navjivan from 1925 to 1929.
5. When Ganadhi ji won Nobel peace Prize?
Explanation: Gandhi Ji never won Nobel peace Prize although Gandhi was nominated in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1947 and, finally, a few days before he was murdered in January 1948.
6. Who established the Natal Indian Congress (NIC)?
A. Vallabhbhai Patel
B. Sarojini Naidu
C. Jawaharlal Nehru
D. None of the above
Explanation: On 22 May, 1894 Gandhi established the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) and worked hard to improve rights of Indians in South Africa.
7. When Gandhi ji returned to India from South Africa?
Explanation: Gandhi ji returned to India in 1915 permanently and joined the Indian National Congress with Gopal Krishna Gokhale as his mentor.
8. Book ‘The Satyahrah’ was originally written in ....................
9. Who was the political Guru of Mahatma Gandhi ji?
A. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
B. Dayanand Saraswati
C. Ravindra Nath Tagore
D. None of the above
Explanation: Mahatma Gandhi used to seek the opinion of the Gopal Krishna Gokhale through letters from South Africa. Gokhale was the one who persuaded Gandhi to came back to India, invest time in understanding India and work for Indian independence struggle movement.
10. What was the name of mother of Mahatma Gandhi?
C. Sharda Bai
D. Kusuma Devi
Explanation: Father of Mahatma Gandhi was Karamchand Uttamchand Gandhi while mother's name was Putlibai Gandhi.