World AIDS Day 2022: Current Theme, History, Significance and Key facts
World AIDS Day 2022: The day provides an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV, show their support for people living with HIV, and remember those who have died due to HIV-related illnesses.
HIV is a major public health issue that affects millions of people across the world. According to the WHO;
- In 2020, 37,700,000 estimated people living with HIV.
- In 2020, 680,000 people died from HIV-related causes.
- In 2020, 1,500,000 people were newly infected.
- Around 73% of people living with HIV received lifelong antiretroviral therapy (ART) in 2020.
World AIDS Day is observed on 1 December to spread awareness about the HIV epidemic, speak out against HIV stigma, and call for an increased response to move toward ending HIV.
— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) December 1, 2022
AIDS is a chronic disease that is caused by the HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) virus. The full form of AIDS is Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. Due to the disease immune system becomes weak and people are more vulnerable to infections and diseases.
Do you know where is HIV found in the body? It is found in all the tissues of the body but transmitted through the body fluid of an infected person via blood, semen, breast milk, etc. It mainly attacks the T-cells in the immune system. HIV is transmitted through sexual contact, blood transmission, and perinatal transmission. Symptoms may include fever, joint pain, muscle aches, sore throat, tiredness, weakness, unintentional weight loss, etc.
World AIDS Day: History
- The theme for 2022 is " Rock the Ribbon".
- The theme for 2021 is "End inequalities. End AIDS”.
- The theme for 2020 was "Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Resilience and Impact”
- The theme for 2019 was “Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Community by Community”
- The Theme of the year 2018 was "Know your Status".
- The theme of the year 2017 was "Right to health".
- The theme of the year 2016 was "Hands up for HIV protection: Access Equity Right Now"
- .The theme from the year 2011 to 2015 was "Getting to zero: zero new HIV infections. Zero discrimination. Zero AIDS-related deaths”.
- The theme of the year 2010 was “Universal Access and Human Rights”.
World AIDS Day: Objectives
The main purpose of celebrating World AIDS Day every year is to build new and effective policies and programs to strengthen the systems of health and also to increase the capacity of health sectors towards HIV or AIDS.
- To guide member states in increasing the prevention and control measures for HIV or AIDS globally.
- To make awareness among the people about antiretroviral medicines which can help them to fight against HIV infection.
- To offer technical support to the member states for implementing the plan for prevention, and treatment for HIV or AIDS which will include testing, counseling, antiretroviral therapy, etc.
- To encourage students from schools, and colleges to contribute to the campaign organized for AIDS.
- To decrease the number of patients infected by HIV or AIDS.
Therefore, we have seen what is AIDS/ HIV infection. How is it affecting human life, what is the purpose of celebrating World AIDS Day or why is it celebrated every year, etc?