List of Countries with post of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
The Post of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) will be a new post in the Indian defence system. The Chief of Defence Staff is meant to be a single-point military advisor to the government on important defense and strategic issues for the Prime Minister and Minister of Defense.
CDS will act like a coordinating authority between the all three wings of defence forces and Government of India.
Read this article to know that which countries of the world have the post of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) with same name and other name. Some countries use the terms; Chief of Staff, Commander-in-Chief, Chief of Defence Forces and Supreme Commander etc. for the post of Chief of Defence staff (CDS).
Lets know these countries one by one;
1. The Chief of the Defence Staff; Italy: The Chief of the Defence Staff of Italy refers to the Chiefs of the Defence Staff of the Italian Armed Forces. This post was created on 4 May 1925 and Pietro Badoglio was the first person to hold it.
2.The Chief of Staff of the Armies; France: He is the chief of the general staff headquarters of the Armies of the French Republic.
Chief of Staff of the Armies is the leading senior military officer responsible for usage of the French Armed Forces. This post was created on 28 April 1948 and as of now Général François Lecointre is holding this position.
3. The Chief of the General Staff; China: The Chief of the General Staff is Chief of the Republic of China Armed Forces. This post was created on 23 May 1946 and currently it is held by General Shen Yi-Ming while first holder was Chen Cheng.
4. The Chief of the Defence Staff; Spain: This is the highest-ranking military officer in the Spanish Armed Forces. He is the principal military advisor to the Minister of Defence, the Prime Minister, the National Defence Council and the National Security Council.
5. The Chief of the Defence Staff; United Kingdom; As we know that Indian army has adopted positions from the United Kingdom (UK). The CDS is the head of the British armed forces.
Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS)is also the senior most military adviser to the Secretary of State for Defence Minister and the Prime Minister.
6. Chief of the Defence Staff; Canada: The Chief of the Defence Staff is the second most senior member of the Canadian Armed Forces. The top post is held by the Commander-in-Chief.
The position of CDS is held by a senior member of one of the three main branches of the Canadian Armed Forces. The current CDS is Jonathan Vance since 17 July 2015.
7. Chief of Staff, Joint Staff; japan: He is the highest ranking military officer and head of the Operational Authority of the Japan Self-Defense Forces.
The Chief of Staff assists the Defence Minister on all matters of Japan Self-Defense Forces and executes orders of the Defence Minister and the Prime Minister.
This post was created on 1 July 1954 and General Kōji Yamazaki is the current Chief of Staff, Joint Staff.
So this was the list of Chief of Defence of Staff in the different countries of the world. I hope the creation of the post of Chief of Defence of Staff in India would strengthen the capabilities of the Indian defence forces.