The 21st century witnesses the evolving role of humans because of the shift from "personnel" to "human resources”. It brings an incredible number of things such as increasing globalization, rapid technological change, and tougher competition. To compete in the competition some sportsperson uses performance-enhancing substances or techniques to augment an athlete's ability to succeed in competitive sports is a pertinent and timely topic for athletes, coaches, and any involved health care provider.
The World Anti-Doping Agency was established to bring consistency to anti-doping policies and regulations within sports organizations and governments right across the world. Hence, it came with a comprehensive list of Prohibited drugs to set International standard international standard for identifying substances and methods prohibited in sport for the harmonization globally across the anti-doping movement.
The World Anti-Doping Agency included only those substance or method if they fall under the criteria which are given below:
1. It has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance
2. It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete
3. It violates the spirit of sport
List of drugs banned by World Anti-Doping Agency
1. Erythropoietin (EPO or epoetin alfa)
2. Anabolic steroids
4. Human Growth Hormone
Substances prohibited at all times
1. Non-approved Substances: Any pharmacological substance ban by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g. drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use).
2. Anabolic Agents: It is a substance that increase muscle size temporarily.
3. Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors and Related Substances
4. Beta-2 Agonists
5. Hormone and Metabolic Modulators
6. Diuretics and Other Masking Agents
1. Alcohol: It contains ethanol and hence, it is prohibited in competition like Air Sports (FAI), Archery (WA), Automobile (FIA), and Powerboating (UIM). During dope test, any sportsperson’s blood has alcohol concentration of 010g/L will be prohibited and face the ban.
2. Beta-Blockers: It is strictly prohibited in sports like Archery, Automobile, Billiards (all disciplines), Darts (WDF), Golf (IGF), Shooting (ISSF, IPC), Skiing/Snowboarding (FIS) in ski, jumping, freestyle aerials/halfpipe and snowboard halfpipe/big air, and Underwater sports (CMAS). Examples of Beta-blockers- Atenolol, Betaxolol, Bisoprolol, Bunolol, Carteolol, Carvedilol, Celiprolol, Esmolol, Labetalol, Levobunolol, Metipranolol, Metoprolol, Nadolol, Oxprenolol, Pindolol, Propranolol, Sotalol, and Timolol.
The banned substances and techniques fall into the following categories: androgens, blood doping, peptide hormones, stimulants, diuretics, narcotics, and cannabinoids.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.