National Civil Services Day 2023: Top 25+ Inspirational Quotes by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
National Civil Services Day 2023: It is observed on April 21 in India. The civil service is the backbone of the administration of a country. The day is celebrated to appreciate all the public officers who are engaged in several public departments and work tirelessly to run the administrative machinery of the country. The day is also a reminder for the civil servants who are working in different departments for the cause of serving the citizens of India above all else.
Those officers who are appointed as IAS, IPS, and others are the ones who work at the grassroots level to address several social issues that are faced by the citizens of the country.
National Civil Services Day commemorates the day when the first Home Minister of Independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, addressed the probationers of Administrative Services Officers in 1947 at Metcalf House, Delhi. The first National Civil Services Day was observed on April 21, 1947. On this day, the Prime Minister's Awards for Excellence in Public Administration are presented. Take a look at some inspirational quotes by the Iron Man of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
READ| Why is National Civil Services Day celebrated on 21 April?
National Civil Services Day 2023: Top 21 Inspirational Quotes by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
1. “Non-violence has to be observed in thought, word, and deed. The measure of our non-violence will be a measure of our success.”
2. "Two ways of building character - cultivating the strength to challenge oppression, and tolerate the resultant hardships that give rise to courage and awareness."
3. "My only desire is that India should be a good producer and no one should be hungry, shedding tears for food in the Country."
4. "The main task before India today is to consolidate herself into a well-knit and united power.... "
5. "One can take the path of revolution but the revolution should not give shock to the society. There is no place for violence in revolution."
6. “Remain united. March forward in all humility, but fully awake to the situation you face, demanding your rights and firmness.”
7. "Manpower without Unity is not a strength unless it is harmonized and united properly, then it becomes a spiritual power."
8. "Faith is of no evil in absence of strength. Faith and strength, both are essential to accomplish any great work.”
9. “A war based on Satyagraha is always of two kinds. One is the war we wage against injustice, and the other we fight our won weaknesses.”
10. "Yours (Police) is the responsibility to maintain the prestige of the Government and protect the honour of the citizens. It is not enough if you only detect crime and bring offenders to book. You must also try to win the affection of the people.... A police officer or policeman who loses his head in handling a situation is not fit to be a member of the police force."
11. “Work is undoubtedly worship but laughter is life. Anyone who takes life too seriously must prepare himself for a miserable existence. Anyone who greets joys and sorrows with equal facility can really get the best of life."
12. "Today we must remove distinctions of high and low, rich and poor, caste or creed."
13. "The stiffer the opponent the more should our affection go out to him. That is the significance of Satyagraha."
14. "The first requirement in the country was external and internal security. You cannot have any plan unless there is security."
15. "There is something unique in this soil, which despite many obstacles has always remained the abode of great souls."
16. "It is the duty of every person to develop a national language or do such a service that all over India it is accepted without any hesitation or reservation. The expanse of Hindi should be as wide as an ocean, in which all the languages of India take its own proper place. The national language is not of any province, or of any community."
17. "Take to the path of dharma – the path of truth and justice. Don’t misuse your valour. Remain united. March forward in all humility, but fully awake to the situation you face, demanding your rights and firmness."
18. "We must review the extent of the action taken, the success or failure achieved....for ensuring final and complete annihilation of those subversive forces."
19. " For the first time we have got adult franchise and unless the people exercise or are able to exercise their franchise in a proper intelligent manner, the working of the democracy would be difficult and we stand to lose a great deal."
20. "Every citizen of India must remember that he is an Indian and he has every right in this country but with certain duties."
21. "There is something unique in this soil, which despite many obstacles has always remained the abode of great souls."
22. " Happiness and misery are paper balls. Don’t be afraid of death. Join the nationalist forces, be united. Give work to those who are hungry, food to invalids, forget your quarrels."
23. "Young men and women are to build-up a strong character. A nation’s greatness was reflected in the character of her people. If it was sullied by selfishness, such a people could not prosper or achieve great things. Selfishness had its place in life as everyone had to look to his own needs and that of his family, but it could not be made the be – all and end – all of life."
24. “So long as you do not know how to die it is useless for you to learn how to kill. India will not be benefited from the brutal force. If India is to be benefited it will be through non-violence.”
25. “Non-violence has to be observed in thought, word and deed. The measure of our non-violence will be the measure of our success.”
26. “Satyagraha is not a creed for the weak or the cowardly.”
27.“If we have to fight, we must fight clean. Such a fight must await an appropriate time and conditions and you must be watchful in choosing your ground. To fight against refugees is no fight at all. No laws of humanity or war among honourable men permit the murder of people who have sought shelter and protection.”
28. “In this country which won the freedom only yesterday....it is impossible to make progress unless we first restore order. On the top of it came partition which made our task difficult.”
29. “We must review the extent of the action taken, the success or failure achieved....for ensuring final and complete annihilation of those subversive forces.”
30. “There is nothing to be gained from the loyalty of a cowardly and cringing public. The brave man, who has inspired this fight, however, is capable of converting the cowardly into the bravest of persons.”
31. "The negligence of a few could easily send a ship to the bottom, but it required the whole-hearted cooperation of all on board; she could be safely brought to port. "
32. " Your goodness is an impediment in your way, so let your eyes be red with anger, and try to fight the injustice with a firm hand."
33. "A war based on Satyagraha is always of two kinds. One is the war we wage against injustice, and the other we fight our own weaknesses."
34. "We have to shed mutual bickerings, shed the difference of being high or low and develop a sense of equality and banish untouchability. We have to restore the conditions of Swaraj prevalent prior to British rule. We have to live like the children of the same father."
35. "Manpower without Unity is not a strength unless it is harmonised and united properly, then it becomes a spiritual power. "
36. "Faith is of no avail in absence of strength. Faith and strength, both are essential to accomplish any great work."