Paper Bag Day 12 July: History and Significance
Paper bags are made from renewable raw materials, are recyclable and biodegradable. No doubt they are strong and are used in almost all occasions. Several people are using bags every day made up of paper and also help in curbing environmental pollution. Due to globalisation, climate change and scarcity of raw materials people are adopting sustainable lifestyle choices and using paper bag is one of them. It reduces the use of plastic bag which causes pollution and are non-biodegradable.
No doubt using paper bag is an important cornerstone to preserve our planet for future generations because paper bags are biodegradable. In several countries paper Bag Day is celebrated on different dates.
Paper Bag: History
Let us tell you that in 1852, an American inventor, Francis Wolle, established first paper bag machine. Further in 1871, Margaret E. Knight designed another machine that can produce flat-bottom paper bags. She became famous and came to be known as "the mother of the grocery bag". In 1883, Charles Stilwell invented a machine that can produce square-bottom paper bags with pleaded sides making them easier to fold and store. In 1912, Walter Deubener used cord to reinforce paper bags and add carrying handles. Over the years, several inventors came and improve the production of paper bag.
Advantages of using Paper Bags
- Using paper bag is eco-friendly.
- Packaging in paper bags are considered as an upmarket and classy. Packing in simple bag and in an attractive printed paper bags will definitely give an edge to the product.
- Paper bags are made up of renewable resources and so are easily recyclable.
- Paper bags are biodegradable and do not leftover toxins.
- Paper bags can be used again and again with careful handling.
- Paper bags can be easily composted in a home composer.
- Paper bags are inexpensive and practical to use.
- Do you know that Paper bags are made up of wood that is why they can be recycled and easily converted into a new paper? Like newspapers, magazines or books.
Disadvantage of paper bag can be that they are too porous and carrying freezing food in a paper bag is difficult. Therefore, wet strength of paper bag is a bit poor.
No doubt using paper bags will help a lot to environment. But yes we should not waste paper or should not overdo it. Because Papers are made up of wood and to generate more papers we have to cut down trees.