Rahul Gandhi is the son of former Indian Prime Minister Mr. Rajiv Gandhi & Congress president Ms. Sonia Gandhi. Rahul Gandhi & his younger sister, Priyanka have been in the glare of publicity since the day they were born. Rahul Gandhi was born on 19 June 1970. Since the year 2004, Rahul Gandhi has been the Member of Parliament in lieu of Amethi, Uttar Pradesh in Lok Sabha. In the year 2007, he was named the General Secretary of Indian National Congress in control of the youth & student organizations of the Party. In Jan 2013, he assumed office as the Vice President of Indian National Congress.
Rahul Gandhi was born in Delhi. He is the 1st amongst 2 children of Sonia Gandhi, the current Congress President and Rajiv Gandhi, the former Prime Minister of India. Rahul Gandhi is Priyanka Gandhi’s elder brother. His grandmother was Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi & his great grandfather was Prime Minister Mr Jawaharlal Nehru, the 1st prime minister of India.
Rahul Gandhi went to St. Columba's School, Delhi before entering Doon School, Dehradun from the year 1981 to year 1983. In the intervening time, his father had joined politics & became the Prime Minister on October 31, 1984 when Indira Gandhi was snuffed out. Due to the safety dread faced by the family of Indira Gandhi from Sikh fanatics, Rahul Gandhi & his sister, Priyanka were home schooled subsequently.
Rahul Gandhi joined St Stephen's college in the 1st year examinations. Thereafter, he shifted to Rollins College due to security reasons and finished his B.A. in the year 1994. Further, he went on to acquire an M. Phil from the Trinity College, Cambridge in the year 1995. After completing his graduation, Rahul worked at Monitor Group in London. In the year 2002, he became one of the directors of Backops Services Private Ltd.
• In March 2004, Rahul Gandhi proclaimed his entrance into politics by broadcasting that he would compete in the May 2004 elections, standing for his father's past constituency of Amethi, Uttar Pradesh in Lok Sabha.
• Rahul Gandhi was chosen as the General Secretary of All India Congress Committee in the year 2007 in a restructuring of the party secretariat. In the same reshuffle, he was also given responsibility of the Indian Youth Congress & the National Students Union of India. In the year 2008, senior Congress leader Veerappa Moily revealed "Rahul – as - PM" thought when the Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh was still abroad.
• On January 2013, Rahul Gandhi officially took charge of the Congress Vice President. He was elevated to the Vice President post at the party's Jaipur conclave. As vice - president, he is 2nd only to the party President and Sonia Gandhi.
• In the past, Rahul Gandhi was the member of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs & Human Resource Development & the Consultative Committee for Ministry of Civil Aviation.
• At present, he doles out on the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance & Consultative Committee for Ministry of Rural Development.
• Rahul has conquered the expansion of a self - help group association & a non - profit eye care contributor in Uttar Pradesh.
• He also serves as the trustee of Rajiv Gandhi Foundation
• Entered Indian politics in the year 2004 & won parliamentary elections
• He was appointed as the general secretary of AICC and was given the charge of Youth Congress & NSUI
• Rahul brought unanticipated applaud by unaccompanied winning of 20 seats in Uttar Pradesh during 2009 polls
• He is a believer in secular politics that formulates him leader of causes & righteousness
• At grave vital times, he brought up the subject of Muslim massacre in Narendra Modi led Gujarat to the vanguard
• Consistently highlighted to engross youth in various facades of national development
Books and documentaries
Aarthi Ramachandran, a political journalist, has worked with major Indian newspapers such as Business Standard and The Economic Times has written about the Congress for past few years & tracked Rahul Gandhi’s political career strongly. She wrote a book “Decoding Rahul Gandhi” that chronicles his political path.
Currently Rahul Gandhi is Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) from Amethi constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
Sources: The Hindu, Westlandbooks.in, inc.in
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.