The objectives of Rajagopalachari Formula were to bridges between the Muslims League and Indian National Congress arises due to the difference of opinion on two nation theory and independence of India from British. C. Rajagopalachari was the veteran Congress leader, made a formula for the Indian National Congress and Muslim League cooperation to write off the political deadlock. Formula was supported by M.K Gandhi which was in reality, a silent acceptance of the League’s demand for Pakistan.
• Muslim League to support the demand for independence of Congress.
• League to cooperate with Congress in forming a provisional government at centre.
• At the end of the War, a commission would be appointed to demarcate the districts having a Muslim population in absolute majority and in elections to be conducted in those areas (including the non-Muslims) on basis of adult suffrage whether or not to form a separate sovereign state.
• All parties would be allowed to express their stand on the partition and their views before the voting or election.
• In case of acceptance of partition, agreement to be made jointly for safeguarding defence, commerce, communications, etc.
• The above terms to be operative only if England transferred full powers to India.
The basic concepts of Rajagopalachari Formula was to engulf the gap between the Muslims League and Indian National Congress arises due to the difference of opinion on two nation theory and independence of India from British.