The Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) is a scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region that works from 1947. It was formed under the Canberra Agreement by the Australia, France, New Zealand, Netherlands, United Kingdoms, and the United States (US).
It is international development organisation that governed by territory members for the well-being of Pacific region through the effective and innovative application of science and knowledge under the umbrella of Pacific context and cultures.
In 1995, SPC with the support of UNESCO started TV show “The Pacific Way” as a trial for exchanging news stories that includes climate change adaptation, health, youth employment, innovation in agriculture, fisheries management and the protection of cultural heritage.
Principles of Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC)
- It care for the rich and diverse cultures, traditions and environments of the people of the Pacific region, and our sustainable solutions are based on a sound understanding of their strengths and needs, and of the challenges they face.
- It committed to adding value to the scientific and technical capacities of our members in pursuing transformational development.
- It committed to the principles of good governance, to the defence and promotion of gender equality and human rights, and to ensuring that the needs of the most vulnerable in our societies are at the forefront of our work.
- It work collaboratively with existing partners and build new relationships so that the collective strength of all can be harnessed for the interests of our members.
- It committed to developing an organisational culture that enables our staff to continually improve their effectiveness in working for the people of the Pacific.
Working areas of the Pacific Community (SPC)
It works for the knowledge and innovation which is confined to the areas like fisheries science, public health surveillance, geosciences and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
Governing Body of the Pacific Community (SPC)
- The Conference of the Pacific Community is the governing body of the organisation which is held in every two years.
- The Committee of Representatives of Governments and Administrations (CRGA) is entitled to take decisions on the organisational governance which meets annually.