Sangam Age was started from 3rd century to 4th century BC and it is called Sangam because age was referred to the Sangam academies of poets and scholars. Moreover, it is the period in the history of ancient southern India which is also called Tamilakam. Here, we are sharing the summary on the Dynasties of Sangam Age which very useful study material for the students who are preparing for the competitive examinations like UPSC, SSC, State Services, CDS, NDA and Railways.
Summary on the Dynasties of Sangam Age
1. Kindgom was famous for pearl as per Megathenese.
2. Territory extended to Modern district of Tirunelvelli, Ramnad and Madurai.
3. Madurai (situated on the bank of river Vaigai) was the capital city of the kingdom
4. Trade relation with Roman Empire and Roman also sent their emissaries like Augustas and Trojjan.
5. Mudukudumi was the earliest known ruler of the kingdom. He accused Kovalan of theft. As a result, the city of Madurai was laid under a curse by Kannagi (Kavalan’s wife).
6. Fish was their state emblem.
1. Kingdom also called as Cholamandalam.
2. It was situated to the north-east of Pandya kingdom between Pennar and Vellar rivers.
3. Kingdom was extended to modern district of Tanjore and Tiruchirapalli.
4. Uriayur (inland) and Kaverippattinam (port capital) were the capital city of the kingdom.
5. Famous for cotton trading
6. Elara was the earliest king who conquered Sri Lanka.
7. Karikala was the great king of the kingdom who was charred leg. He founded Puhar and constructed 160 km of embankment along the Kaveri River.
8. They had very efficient navy at that time.
9. Tiger was their state emblem.
1. Kingdom occupied the portion of both Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
2. Vanji was the capital city.
3. Muzris and Tondi was the main ports
4. Roman set up two regiments at Muzris (identical with Caranganore). They also built temple of Augustus at Muzris.
5. Udiyangeral was the earliest ruler of the kingdom.
6. Senguttuvan or Red Chera was the greatest king of the kingdom who founded the famous Pattini cult related to worship of Goddess of Chastity- Kannagi.
7. Bow was their state emblem.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.