Do you know that it is 47th mission of India's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C45). Also, this mission of ISRO is the first attempt to place payloads in three different orbits. Let us study more about EMISAT satellite through this article.
Unknown facts about EMISAT satellite
1. EMISAT is electromagnetic spectrum measurements. It is primarily based on the famous Israeli spy satellite known as SARAL (Satellite with ARgos and ALtika) and it inherits SSB-2 bus protocol for conducting sharp electronic surveillance across the length and breadth of India. EMISAT is released into an orbit at 749 km.
2. Do you know that ISRO with EMISAT satellite has launched 28 other satellites from other nations including 24 from the US from Sriharikota. This was PSLV's 47th flight.
3. No doubt this mission marks several firsts to the credit of the space agency as it would manoeuvre satellites in various orbits and orbital experiments including on maritime satellite applications.
4. Let us also tell you that the 28 other international satellites are of 25 3U type, two 6U type and one 2U type nano satellites and two are from Lithuania, one from Spain, one from Switzerland and 24 from the United States. Also according to ISRO the first stage, a new variant of the rocket PSLV-QL equipped with four Strap-On motors was used for the launch.
5. This satellite would serve the country's roving device for detecting and gathering electronic intelligence from enemy radars across the borders as it circles the globe roughly pole to pole every 90 minutes or so.
6. All the 28 customer satellites whose total weight is about 220 kgs were released by lowering the fourth state to around 504 kms orbit.
7. For the first time in ISRO's history the fourth stage would be ignited and further lowered to 485 kms orbit to serve as an orbital platform for carrying out space borne experimentations.
8. Automatic Packet Repeating System (APRS) from AMSAT (Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation), India to assist amateur radio operators in tracking and monitoring position data.
9. According to space agency, for the structural and compositional studies of ionosphere the Advanced Retarding Potential Analyser for Ionospheric Studies (ARIS) from Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) is done.
10. It is said that in this mission, the last stage of the rocket will be kept alive for several weeks before it becomes junk in the space and it will be used as orbital platform or an orbiting space laboratory where three instruments are attached to the rocket motor. All these include an experiment to study the upper atmosphere or ionosphere as discussed above, a maritime ship identification system and a version of HAM Sat for amateur enthusiasts.
So, now we understood that the PSLV-C45 EMISAT is the first launch vehicle to use solar panels in the fourth stage rocket. It hasss three payloads that is APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) from AMSAT (Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation), from ISRO AIS (Automatic Identification System) and from IIST (Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology) ARIS (Advanced Retarding Potential Analyser which will be used for Ionospheric Studies. Also, let us tell you that weather conditions play an important role in launching ISRO PSLV-C45 EMISAT.