It is common and famous saying that “Health is Wealth”. Good health is the feeling of mental, physical and social well being by any person and not only to be free of diseases.
Every year World No tobacco Day or Anti Tobacco Day is celebrated on 31st May all across the world to aware people about the effects of smoking, chewing tobacco and diseases caused by it like cancer etc.
This day emphasise on the health and other risks associated with tobacco use and advocating for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.
Several campaigns, events and activities are organised on this day to educate people about the bad effects of tobacco on health. We all know that whether eating tobacco or other such products will give pleasure for sometime but it will take life away. It may happens that after chewing tobacco a person feel energetic for a while but have you ever thought why is it so? They make an addiction and you will be caught in this wheel which will be hard to get out.
World No Tobacco Day or Anti Tobacco Day 2018: Theme
The theme of World No Tobacco Day or Anti Tobacco Day 2018 is “Tobacco and heart disease”. It will focus on the cardiovascular health.
According to WHO the campaign will increase the awareness on the:
- Link between tobacco and heart and other cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including stroke, which combined are the world’s leading causes of death.
- Feasible actions and measures that key audiences, including governments and the public, can take to reduce the risks to heart health posed by tobacco.
World No Tobacco Day or Anti Tobacco Day: History
In 1987, the Member States of the World Health Organisation (WHO) created World No Tobacco Day to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes.
World Health Assembly on 15 May,1987 passed a resolution calling for 7 April 1988 "a World No-Smoking Day". This date was chosen because it was the 40th anniversary of the World Health Organization.
Further in 1988 another resolution was passed for celebrating World No Tobacco day every year on 31st May.
This year the theme is focusing on the impact of tobacco on the cardiovascular health of people. It may be the risk factor of causing coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Also, this day will provide knowledge to people that tobacco is one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
How Chewing tobacco impact on health?
- Chewing tobacco paves short or long term effects on health.
- It can cause ulcer, staining of teeth, cavities, tooth decay, tooth loss etc. which are short-term health effects.
- It also causes bad breath, sores mouth and even makes difficult for a person to eat food.
- Sometimes it can make tongue senseless and due to this person will not be able to taste food.
- Tobacco causes dizziness in the person due to which feeling of tiredness occur.
- If a person continuously chews tobacco then short-term disease may lead to long-term and causes severe health problems like cancer, lung disease, heart disease, stroke etc.
- Chewing tobacco can cause oral cancer or precancers.
- It can cause leukoplakia i.e. whitish patches inside the mouth occurs that can become cancerous.
Facts about Tobacco
- Do you know that tobacco is a product of fresh leaves of nicotiana plants?
- It was originated in the America but introduced to Europe by Jean Nicot in 1559 in Portugal.
- Soon it became popular and an important crop for trade.
- In 1900s some medical research made it clear that tobacco increases health problems like heart attacks, strokes, cancer etc.
- People use tobacco in the form of cigarettes, cigars, bidis, chew tobacco, snuff, gutkha etc.
Life is a precious gift of nature; we should value life and should not waste it by doing senseless and meaningless things. Tobacco can make you happy for sometime or give pleasure for sometime but a healthy person with no such habits can lead a good and happy life and can go far in life.
“Health is like money. You never know the value of it until you lost it.” by Josh Billings.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.