Central Government approves setting up of a new Medical College in Kapurthala

Published on: Nov 29, 2019 09:08 IST
Register for Result Update

New Medical College in Punjab

New Medical College in Punjab: Central Government has approved setting up of a new Government Medical College in Kapurthala, Punjab, as per media reports. The decision comes in response to the Punjab Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh’s request to the central government. According to the press release issued by the Punjab Government, the Central Government has cleared the decks for opening of a new Government Medical College in Kapurthala. The medical college will come up through upgradation of the Civil Hospital in the area.

Jointly Funded by Centre and State

The new Government Medical College which has been approved to be setup at Kapurthala, will be funded jointly by the Central and State Governments. According to the press release of Punjab Government, Centre would be providing 60% of the funds while the rest 40% will be funded by Punjab Government. A total budget of Rs 325 crore has been earmarked for setting of the new GMC at Kapurthala, which means that of the total amount, Rs 195 crore will be contributed by Central Government and pending Rs 130 crore will be invested by Punjab Government.

Infrastructure Development Plan

The press release of Punjab Government also mentioned that as part of the upgradation of Kapurthala Civil Hospital will get an increased bed strength from the existing 220 to 500 along with the installation of latest medical infrastructures. Moreover, Punjab Government has already identified 11 acres of land in the district for construction of the GMC. As part of infrastructure development, Punjab Government has also set aside Rs 50 crore for the installation of the requisite medical equipment in the college. Once setup, the Kapurthala Government Medical College would be one of its kind facility in the Doaba region providing medical education, healthcare and diagnostic services.

5th Govermement Medical College in Punjab

With the approval for new Government Medical College in Punjab, the total number of GMC’s in Punjab will grow to 5. Currently, there are three Government run Medical Colleges which are operational the state at Amritsar, Faridkot and Patiala. Apart from these three, one more medical college is coming up at SAS Nagar Mohali while the newly approved one will be setup at Kapurthala.

Also Read: JNU students to protest outside HRD Ministry today

Loading...
Register For Education News
Roll Number
Name
Mobile Number
Email ID
Gender
Your Location
Class
What you wish to study
What stream you wish to study?
Your Stream
Study Mode
Loading...