History was created on Thursday when Kanupriya was elected as the president of Panjab University Campus Students Council (PUCSC). 22-year-old Kanupriya is the first woman to have won the post in one of the oldest universities in India. Kanupriya of the Left-leaning Students for Society (SFS) defeated her nearest rival Ashish Rana by a margin of 719 votes. Rana is a member of RSS-affiliated Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). Kanupriya polled 2,802 votes, they said. The post of vice president and secretary went to Daler Singh of the Students' Organisation of India (SOI) and the Indian Students Association (ISA) respectively. Vipul Atray of the National Students Union of India was elected Joint Secretary. Daler Singh won the post by defeating Pardeep Singh of the Congress' student wing - National Students Union of India (NSUI) and the Hindustan Students Association (HAS) with a margin of 928 votes.
Interestingly, no prominent students outfit was able to make a clean sweep in the PUCSC polls this time. Last year, the NSUI had won three posts. There were a total of 21 candidates were in the fray this year. This time, 15,381 students were eligible to cast votes in the PUCSC polls. According to reports, over 200 students selected the NOTA option for the president's post.
Here's all you need to know about Kanupriya
- Kanupriya is a second-year Master's in Science student in the Zoology Department
- She is from Patti town in Punjab.
- Kanupriya's mother is a nurse and her father works in the private sector.
- This was the second time in a row when SFS - a left-leaning organisation, not affiliated with any political party - has fielded a woman candidate.
- Kanupriya got associated with SFS in the year 2014.
- She became an active member of the organisation in 2015 and was very popular amongst students.