Accountant/ Junior Accountant through SSC CGL: Job Profile, Salary and Promotional Aspects
SSC CGL examination has commenced from 27th August 2016 and will continue till 11th September, 2016. The tier 1 examination is followed by tier 2 and then tier 3. This is one of the most popular examinations in India because of the scale of recruitment and the opportunity of getting a good job under Government of India. One of the posts for which recruitment is done through SSC CGL is accountant or junior accountant in CAG, CGDA and CGA.
SSC CGL examination has commenced from 27th August 2016 and will continue till 11th September, 2016. The tier 1 examination is followed by tier 2 and then tier 3. This is one of the most popular examinations in India because of the scale of recruitment and the opportunity of getting a good job under Government of India. One of the posts for which recruitment is done through SSC CGL is accountant or junior accountant in CAG, CGDA and CGA. In this article, we shall try to find out the various aspects of this post such as job profile, salary, promotional avenues etc
Accountant / Junior Accountant: Salary
This post is classified under Group C of the central government service and according to the 6th CPC formula, the post carries a grade pay of Rs 2800 with the pay band being Rs 5200-20200. Gross emoluments of this post at present are around Rs 30000 at present in the major X cities whereas the same is less in other cities because of reduction in HRA amount. After the 7th Pay Commission recommendations are implemented, your monthly gross salary is expected to be around 40000 in major X cities whereas minimum will be around Rs 36000 for Z class of cities
Job Profile of Accountant through SSC CGL
The job profile of an accountant includes monitoring of expenses incurred by the department he or she is posted at. The daily job includes passing of bills and vouchers for expenditure under various heads so that smooth functioning of the concerned department is not hampered at all. The next important job will be to report the expenses to the higher authorities and if you are found to be passing the bills without proper justification, you are held responsible for the same. This includes risk since it is about taking care of public money. In this post, you will get some power and authority because of your position in the department. If you are working for CAG, the vast nature of job will also be challenging for you
Promotional Avenues for Accountants through SSC CGL
If you clear the SSC CGL examination is recruited as an accountant in any of the government departments, you need to clear the confirmation examination in order to get confirmed in your service failing which you may get demoted to the cadre of lower division clerk (Grade Pay 1900 Rs). However, the promotional avenues for this post are as under:
- Senior Accountant: Once you complete three years of service as accountant, you are eligible for this post through departmental examination but in reality, it takes more time because of absence of vacancies every year in this cadre. This post carries grade pay of Rs 4200 with the pay band being Rs 9300-34800
- Assistant Accounts Officer: After 3 years of service as accountant, you are also eligible to write the AAO examination and if you qualify, you will be promoted to the gazetted rank of AAO with grade pay being Rs 4800 in Pay Band of Rs 9300-34800
- Accounts Officer: This is mainly by seniority basis and it takes around 5 to 6 years for an AAO to become an AO. This post carries a grade pay of Rs 5400 with the grade pay being Rs 15600-39100 in PB – 2
- Senior Accounts Officer: Again a post to be promoted through seniority channel. You are eligible for this post after 2 years as AO but there is only 3% increment from your previous post in this post, so not much to gain as far as salary is concerned
- Chief Accounts Officer: This is the highest you can reach through promotion from junior accountant. The post carries grade pay of Rs 6600 with the pay band being Rs 15600-39100. It takes around 5 to 6 years for a senior AO to become CAO though the whole thing depends on vacancy and seniority
Junior Accountant in all the departments carries the respect because these posts have the power to sanction money and verify expenses incurred by the departments. On the other hand, they can also report any wrongdoing to the senior authority and everybody is petrified of that. You can rise up to the level of CAO if you join at a young age in this post. Opportunities are there for you to learn a lot and open an accountancy firm post retirement. Give your best in SSC CGL to get this post
All the best!!