Emerging Bank Jobs: Job Profile and Career as Cyber Forensic Analyst in Public Sector Banks
Cyber Forensic Analyst is responsible for securing the sensitive data with the banks as well as foreseeing the possible threats to the customers.
Recently some customers of ICICI Bank in Mumbai received an email in their registered email IDs in which somebody posed as an official of the bank and asked for sensitive information such as the account number of the customer, net banking login ID, password etc. Some of the customers clicked on the given link in the email and that led them to a website that resembled the official website of the bank. When bank officials found it, they initiated compliant and lodged a complaint with the Mumbai Police Cyber Cell. It is new in India that people are being targeted electronically in order to steal their passwords and account numbers or credit card numbers or PINs of the ATM cards etc. But this is going to be a daily concern in the days since digital literacy is on the rise and at the same time banking is increasingly going digital. Private sector banks have already understood this which is technically known as Cyber Security Threat in the banks. Now it is the time, Public Sector Banks also wake up to the rising requirement of cyber security mechanism in these banks and it will create a new type of bank jobs in the public sector banks in near future. Recently, Canara Bank has invite application for the post of Cyber Security Analyst.
Cyber Forensic Analyst: An introduction in detail
We have already seen the requirement of robust cyber security mechanism in banks and the persons who are known to do this job for the banks is a Cyber Forensic Analyst. So, what do they actually do?
- Collecting information from various devices: In the above-mentioned case, a cyber forensic analyst will go for information regarding the source of fraud/suspicious mails or phishing so that the customers of ICICI Bank or any other particular bank do not face the same problem again in the future. They will try to deduce as much information as possible from the possible sources. These analysts gather information from various devices as and when required for the investigation.
- You have to be expert in detecting information from hidden sources: This is a part of the job since you need to use your technical skills as well as investigative skills to search for data that has been stolen or hidden or lost from the naked eye. They use various methods to locate textual data, images, internet use history, graphical data etc on any computer.
- Associating the data retrieved with the investigation at hand: This is not the end of the job once you locate any data. You need to be able to explain it to the officials the relevance of such information to the case in hand. This will help in nabbing the culprit easily.
- Making data legally admissible: Once you have detected relevant data for your investigation of any security breach for malicious intent, you need to transfer it into a particular format that can be presented in the court and at the same time, as a cyber forensic analyst will also require testifying in the court himself or herself.
- Putting in place a robust mechanism for prevention purpose: In case you receive a mail showing that it is from your bank, the miscreant must have known that you have given that mail ID to the bank. In this respect, it is clear that the information given by you to your bank is not secret anymore. A cyber forensic analyst will also require making sure that such things do not happen with your customers by making it difficult for hackers to use the name of your bank in such cases of frauds.
- Analyzing information: As the name suggest, you need to be able to analyse any data received over the course of your investigation or any data that is vital to providing preventive cyber security beforehand. So, you need to be able to deduce things from whatever information you have in your hand and use the same in your present job.
- You need to be a technology buff: Since the job demands to live and working with computers and other electronic gadgets, you require to be a computer and electronic gadgets buff in order to be able to sustain in this field. However, keep in mind that you may be required to work at odd hours if you are a cyber forensic analyst.
Public Sector Banks are still at the nascent stage of developing cyber security infrastructure to protect their customers from digital frauds. As a cyber forensic analyst, your job will be to provide valuable inputs in case a security breach has already taken place and at the same time, you will also require to have a robust mechanism to protect customers from any such fraud. Cyber attacks are a new threat emerging in the banking sector these days and cyber forensic analysis is the way to keep the cyber demon at bay.