Should I drop a year for IIT admission
Should I take a year drop for IIT JEE preparation? This question has baffled many aspirants of IIT JEE, which is the most competitive exam for admissions to prominent Engineering colleges in India. Due to tough competition and high cut off marks, cracking IIT JEE has become extraordinary. Students are stressed about clearing IIT JEE because they are also appearing for Boards exams and a month later they will have to appear in IIT JEE. So, they feel they have limited time for preparation and in order to crack IIT JEE they consider dropping a year. While there can be many benefits of taking a year drop for IIT JEE preparation. Students must not stop themselves from trying to crack IIT JEE in the first attempt.
Here we discuss both aspects of IIT JEE Preparation that whether a student should drop a year for IIT JEE or crack the exam in the first attempt? Read below –
Cracking IIT JEE in the first attempt –
- As students have just appeared for board examinations, so the concept of the IIT JEE syllabus is clearer and memorised to them as the IIT JEE syllabus is based on the syllabus of CBSE, ICSE and states board exams.
- The students appearing for Boards exam in February – March can easily cope with the IIT JEE which is conducted in April every year.
- By taking a year drop for IIT JEE Preparation, students tend to invest their more than required time and money, where a student can even crack IIT JEE with a few months strategy.
- Since competition is really high and IIT JEE Cut offs increases every year, students cannot risk tak ing a drop as chances of cracking next year too would be risky and this could further demotivate the aspirants
Important Topics in Mathematics for JEE Main 2018
- The students would never want to be held behind after taking a drop for IIT JEE as their classmates and friends would be a year ahead in career to them.
- As per the eligibility criteria of JEE Main, there is age limit for IIT JEE appearing students and if they are over the age limit as per the date specified by IIT then they would not be eligible. Moreover, students who have qualified class 12 boards exams within past two years of IIT JEE examination are eligible. The age limit and qualifying exam years criteria is changed every year as per the succeeding IIT JEE exam. So, it is better to give IIT JEE exam in the same year as of the boards exams considering the eligibility criteria
- The time and money spent for preparation of IIT JEE could be used to pay their examination fee by taking admission in any engineering college other than IIT. Engineering can be pursued from any other well-known institute than IITs or NITs as the sole purpose is to make a career in engineering.
- Even if students are not able to clear IIT JEE, it is a worthy experience for next try as students get 3 attempts to crack IIT JEE and also, in their first attempt students can check, what level of preparation they need to crack IIT JEE?
Taking a drop for IIT JEE –
- Dropping a year for IIT JEE preparation is a good option as students are already stressed from board exams preparation and they are not able to take more pressure of cracking IIT JEE
- If students are stressed about IIT JEE preparation, then their performance in class 12 boards exams would be affected and they may get less marks or even compartment, which will make students ineligible for IIT JEE, because the eligibility criteria of IIT JEE mentions that students must have passed their class 12 boards qualifying exam in their first attempt (no re-appearing) and also, if they get less marks will affect their percentile in JEE Main and hence, low JEE rank. So, it is better if students drop a year and prepare for IIT JEE.
JEE Main 2018: Role and Importance of mock tests before the exam
- Students get only 3 attempts to crack IIT JEE, so it is better to take a year drop to prepare for IIT JEE and try to crack IIT JEE in your limit for number of attempts only.
- The students even do not get enough time to revise the complete syllabus as they don’t even get 10 days between board exams and IIT JEE Mains.
- Students can prepare better if they take a year drop, as they will get enough time to cover the syllabus as well as take the mock test for IIT JEE which ensures their success in the competitive exam.
- It is not an issue if the student is a year behind their classmates; their priority is their career rather than being in a rat race of no purpose and without passion.
- IITs and NITs are considered the most prominent institute for engineering education, so drop a year to crack IIT JEE is a worth.
- Even mock tests provide the real-time experience of IIT JEE, so students can consider IIT JEE for the first attempt but they should not regard it as final call, as with better preparation of one year, they can get a higher AIR and their chance to get into top IITs is advanced.
Conclusion: Every year, among the list of toppers, there are students who have dropped a year for preparation or cracked IIT JEE in their first attempt and bagged top AIR. Whether students drop a year or crack IIT JEE in the first attempt, they must not give up on their dream of pursuing engineering from IITs, NITs or other prominent engineering Institutes.