The IAS aspirants must study the highlights of Union Budget of the respective year because UPSC asks the question based on the Union Budget documents. So, here, we have provided Union Budget 2018-19 based questions on the topic- Agriculture and Rural Economy are very important for IAS Prelims Exam 2018.
1. A new Scheme "Operation Greens" has been announced in the Union Budget 2018-19 for which of following commodities?
a. Rice, Wheat and Sugarcane
b. Tomato, Onion and Potato
c. Arhar, Moong and Masoor
d. Cotton, Tea and Coffee
On the lines of ‘‘Operation Flood’’ a new Scheme ‘‘Operation Greens’’ was announced in the Union Budget 2018-19 with an outlay of Rs 500 Crore to address the challenge of price volatility of perishable commodities like tomato, onion and potato with the satisfaction of both the farmers and consumers.
2. In the Union Budget 2018-19, the Government has to develop and upgrade existing 22,000 rural haats into:
In the Union Budget 2018-19, the Government has announced to develop and upgrade existing 22,000 rural haats into Gramin Agricultural Markets (GrAMs) to take care of the interests of more than 86% small and marginal farmers. These GrAMs, electronically linked to e-NAM and exempted from regulations of APMCs, will provide farmers facility to make a direct sale to consumers and bulk purchasers.
3. In the Union Budget 2018-19, which of the following plant has been termed as ‘Green Gold’ to promote this sector in a holistic manner?
In the Union Budget 2018-19, the Government has termed Bamboo as ‘Green Gold’ and announced a Re-structured National Bamboo Mission with an outlay of Rs.1290 crore to promote the bamboo sector in a holistic manner.
About National Bamboo Mission
With a view to harness the potential of the bamboo crop, Department of Agriculture & Cooperation (DAC), Ministry of Agriculture is implementing a 100% Centrally Sponsored Scheme called Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) in which National Bamboo Mission (NBM) is being implemented as a sub-scheme. The Mission envisages promoting holistic growth of bamboo sector by adopting area-based, regionally differentiated strategy and to increase the area under bamboo cultivation and marketing. Under the Mission, steps have been taken to increase the availability of quality planting material by supporting the setting up of new nurseries and strengthening of existing ones. To address forward integration, the Mission is taking steps to strengthen marketing of bamboo products, especially those of handicraft items.
4. A special Scheme has been announced in the Union Budget 2018-19 to support the efforts of the governments of which following states to address air pollution in the Delhi-NCR region by subsidizing machinery required for in-situ management of crop residue?
a. Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and the NCT of Delhi
b. Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and the NCT of Delhi
c. Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and the NCT of Delhi
d. Haryana, Punjab and the NCT of Delhi
The Government has announced a special Scheme in the Union Budget 2018-19 to support the efforts of the governments of Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and the NCT of Delhi to address air pollution in the Delhi-NCR region by subsidizing machinery required for in-situ management of crop residue.
A task force set up under the CII-NITI Aayog Clean Air initiative had in September 2017 recommended a package worth more than Rs 3,000 crore as financial assistance to farmers to shift to alternative ways of dealing with agricultural waste.
5. In the Union Budget 2018-19, Government has substantially increased the allocation of National Rural Livelihood Mission to Rs 5750 crore in 2018-19. Consider the following statements regarding the National Rural Livelihood Mission:
1. National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) also known as Aajeevika has been launched by Ministry of Rural Development in June 2011.
2. The objective of the mission is to create platforms enabling poor rural people to increase their household income through sustainable livelihood enhancements and improved access to financial services.
3. In November 2015, the program was renamed Deendayal Antayodaya Yojana (DAY-NRLM).
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
a. 2 only
b. 1 and 3 only
c. 2 and 3 only
d. All of them
Aajeevika - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) was launched by the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), Government of India in June 2011.
Aided in part through investment support by the World Bank, the Mission aims at creating efficient and effective institutional platforms of the rural poor, enabling them to increase household income through sustainable livelihood enhancements and improved access to financial services.
NRLM set out with an agenda to cover 7 Crore rural poor households, across 600 districts, 6000 blocks, 2.5 lakh Gram Panchayats and 6 lakh villages in the country through self-managed Self Help Groups (SHGs) and federated institutions and support them for livelihoods collectives in a period of 8-10 years.
In addition, the poor would be facilitated to achieve increased access to rights, entitlements and public services, diversified risk and better social indicators of empowerment. DAY-NRLM believes in harnessing the innate capabilities of the poor and complements them with capacities (information, knowledge, skills, tools, finance and collectivization) to participate in the growing economy of the country. In November 2015, the program was renamed Deendayal Antayodaya Yojana (DAY-NRLM).
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.