The CGL Exam-2017 is coming up and the same for the year 2016 is in the process. It has been observed in the recent past that the number of candidates vying for these jobs is increasing day by day and at the same time, the number of engineers among them is increasing every year. This makes it clear that engineers are favouring CGL over jobs in their own arena. This can be attributed to factors such as lack of opportunities in the engineering sector and very less number of jobs in the sector. This results in maximum number of aspirants from engineering background coming to SSC CGL. In this article, we are giving you the pros and cons of both sectors, so that you can prepare yourself mentally, which is much more important.
SSC CGL vs. PSU Jobs: Which one to opt for?
Now days, It is very common that Engineers are coming in large numbers to SSC CGL instead of GATE jobs which are mainly in Maharatna companies in India such as ONGC, BHEL, GAIL and others. There must be something special in SSC CGL that aspirants are flocking towards this:
- SSC CGL is pure government job: We all know that Indians are crazy about government jobs. UPSC is any day the best option to join any central government job, but for people, who are not able to make it, SSC CGL offers a lucrative opportunity. PSU jobs are not pure government jobs and it may be possible that someday in the future they will be privatized as the government’s thrust is on disinvestment these days.
- Job stability matters more: Job security is the most important factor determining the choice of the job. In SSC CGL jobs, you are going to get stability, which is incomparable with any other job except UPSC. PSU jobs are also lucrative, but nothing can offer you more job stability as compared to SSC CGL jobs.
- Job security is more there in SSC CGL: The reason is simple that in Government jobs, it is highly unlikely that you will lose the post unless you do something against the policy of the government and you indulge in something unethical. At the same time, PSU jobs are also secured ones, but remember that these companies are there to generate profits and you have to perform up to their expectations.
- Job profile is more comfortable in SSC CGL: In case of SSC CGL, there are both desk based jobs and field jobs, but you are not expected to make profits for the government. You can maintain good family life in SSC CGL jobs, since the initial period at any Maharatna company is very difficult and you are supposed to be on the site most of the time. Most of us want a government job to get a comfortable life, isn’t it?
- Authority matters more in any job: If you are a government servant, you are working for the most powerful authority in the country. So, who else will exercise more authority than you will? In PSU jobs, you may earn a little more; but at the same time, there is little authority in these jobs outside your company.
- Salary offered by PSU may be a little more, but it makes you work for it: Well, you are going to work for a commercial organization and it expects from you to earn profits. Nevertheless, in case of government, you are not expected to earn anything. However, it is true that PSU jobs may be offering some benefits as compared to SSC CGL, but you are going to have a better professional-personal life balance in SSC CGL.
- Transfers are an issue in PSU jobs: In any PSU, you are going to be transferred to any place all over India because these companies have offices and refineries in remote locations in the country. However, in case of SSC CGL jobs, you are going to get postings only in Delhi or metro cities or at the least, Tier-II cities in our country. An urban life with a decent salary is what attracts maximum number of aspirants to SSC CGL posts.
SSC CGL gives you a decent lifestyle and if you want to live a peaceful life, it is even better than UPSC. You will have very little responsibility because of your designation, but salary will be very good and if you compare with PSU jobs, SSC CGL posts win easily. You have a good salary, good postings and very less work pressure in SSC CGL. This is enough to make you interested in SSC CGL instead of PSU Maharanta jobs. Prepare your best and give your best in the upcoming SSC CGL Tier-III and Tier-I 2017.
All the very best!!