You will get the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Civics Chapter 7 - Urban Administration. These NCERT Solutions by Jagran Josh are the best to learn all the concepts easily and effectively. These solutions are provided with precise and to the point details. So, you would not find it difficult to understand all the answers. These solutions will surely help you score the desired marks in your exams. You will get here solutions to all questions given at the end of chapter 7 of the latest NCERT Book for Class 6 Civics. All these NCERT Solutions are available here in an easily downloadable format.
Check below the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Civics Chapter 7 - Urban Administration:
1. Why did the children go to Yasmin Khala’s house?
The children broke the street light while playing cricket. They wanted to replace it but did not know the procedure for this. Hence, Rehana suggested the children to visit Yasmin Khala’s house to understand the procedures for replacing the light. Yasmin Khala had just retired from the Municipal Corporation.
2. List four ways in which the work of the Municipal Corporation affects the life of a city-dweller.
The four ways in which the work of the Municipal Corporation affects the life of a city-dweller are mentioned below:
- Construction, repair and maintenance of roads, parks, schools, hospitals,
- Supply of drinking water and electricity.
- Collection and disposal of garbage.
- Maintenance of drainage system.
- Regular cleaning of roads and streets.
- Installation, repair and maintenance of street lights.
3. Who is a Municipal Councillor?
A Municipal Councillor is an elected representative of a ward. He is responsible for the proper administration of his ward and resolve the issues by placing the demands of the people of his ward before the entire council. The complicated decisions that affect the entire city are taken by groups of councillors who form committees to decide and debate issues.
4. What did Gangabai do and why?
Gangabai along with a large group of women and the Ward Councillor and the sanitation engineer went to the Municipal Corporation office to protest against the lack of maintenance of streets in their locality. The garbage was not being collected from streets and this was attracting dogs, rats, flies and mosquitoes. At one point things became so bad that children even stopped playing cricket in the street because their parents were afraid that they'd get sick from staying on the streets too long. Therefore, the women of the locality went to the Commissioner to get their problem resolved.
5. How does the Municipal Corporation earn the money to do its work?
The Municipal Corporation earns the money to do its work from the various taxes paid by the citizens some of which are:
- Education tax
- Property tax
- House tax
- Movie tax
- Taxes on shops and hotels
In the two photographs, you see different ways of collecting and disposing of garbage.
i) Which way do you think provides safety to the person disposing of garbage?
ii) What are the dangers of collecting garbage in the manner shown in the first photograph?
iii) Why do you think that proper ways of disposing of garbage are not available to those who work in municipalities?
i) Photo no. 2 provides safety to the person disposing the garbage.
ii) The dangers of collecting garbage in the manner shown in the first photograph are as follows:
- The workers may fall sick
- They may get breathing problems or have lung diseases
- They may get infected with skin diseases
- Their hands and foot may get injured with the pieces of glass lying in the garbage
iii) Proper ways of disposing of garbage are not available to those who work in municipalities due to the following reasons:
- Lack of proper arrangements for the right and safer ways of disposing of the garbage.
- Careless and negligent attitude of the officials towards the people responsible for collecting and disposing garbage.
- Lack of funds for arranging better ways of collection and disposal of garbage.
7. Several poor people in the city work as domestic servants as well as work for the Corporation, keeping the city clean. Yet the slums in which they live are quite filthy. This is because these slums seldom have any water and sanitation facilities. The reason often given by the Municipal Corporation is that the land in which the poor have set up their homes does not belong to them and that slum-dwellers do not pay taxes. However, people living in middle-class neighbourhoods pay very little in taxes compared to the amount of money the corporation spends on them in setting up parks, street lighting facilities, regular garbage collection, etc. Also as you read in this chapter, the property taxes collected by the Municipality makes up only 25-30 per cent of its money. Why do you think it is important that the Corporation should spend more money on slum localities? Why is it important that the Municipal Corporation provide the poor in the city with the same facilities that the rich get?
The Municipal Corporation should spend more money on slum localities because most of the people who work hard to keep our cities clean live in these places. Therefore, they should be provided with the same facilities as accessed by the people living in the city. They should be given education, sanitation, rehabilitation and other facilities for their betterment.
The Indian constitution guarantees equality and justice for all. If the Corporation do not provide them equal facilities then it will be considered a clear case of discrimination on the basis of economic status. Therefore, the problem of unequal living conditions needs to be addressed.
Download all the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Civics Chapter 7 from the following link:
You can also get the chapter-wise NCERT solutions for Class 6 History, Civics and Geography subjects from the link provided below: