Benefits of Co-Curricular Activities
Every activity in school life plays a significant role in development of students. Co-curricular activities are an essential part of school life and helps in enhancing learning process of students at school. Co-Curricular activities are compulsory activities which is important for every student to participate. Co-curricular are designed and balanced with academic curriculum so that every student gets to learn beyond subjects.
Co-curricular activities are meant to bring social skills, intellectual skills, moral values, personality progress and character appeal in students. It includes athletics, cultural events, Library activities, science lab activities, classroom activities, creative arts and meditation etc.
Role and Importance of Co-Curricular Activities at School –
- Proper Education – Since, co-curricular activities are merged with academics therefore, it ensures that students get to learn effectively. Science or Computer Lab practical, experiments and projects are part of co-curricular activities.
- Cultural Values - Students get to learn by cultural events including national events and traditional events from different faiths including Gandhi Jayanti, Indepedence Day, Republic Day, as well as Diwali, Eid, Baisaki, Onam, Raksha Bandhan, and many other cultural events. Students get to learn about these events through books as well as co-curricular activities based on different cultures organised by Schools.
- Personality Development – Students perform co-curricular activities in schools, which help them sharpen their communication skills, expression skills, public speaking, participation and sense of belongingness through different activities like debates, recitation. Art and craft, creative art competitions, classroom activities like reading, group discussions etc.
Why extracurricular is important with academics?
4 Mantras for Success in Life by Founder of Super 30
- Physical and Mental Health – Co-curricular activities require students to stay active at school by participation since, students have no option to skip these activities as it’s a part of their curriculum. Students have to be a part of co-curricular activities like athletics, gymnastics, yoga, indoor games, and meditation etc. These activities are beneficial for students’ physical fitness as well as mental health and they are relieved from academic stress.
- Learning Experience – Co-curricular activities are good for improving students learning experience at school which improves their attendance at school and increases participation rate by students in co-curricular activities. Of course, students get a really good excuse for a break from academics.
- Team Leadership Skills – Co-curricular activities at school are designed in groups so that students can participate along with their classmates. This helps students develop leadership skills, team integrity and coordination skills.
How to find goals and focus on achieving them?
- Moral Values – The students through co-curricular activities learn essential ethical values about different cultures, religions, events of national and international importance as well as discipline and school life ethics. They learn to understand different religions, values, social ethics, patience, empathy, motivational skills, compatibility and contentment.
Do you know?
Assembly Prayer is also a part of co-curricular education as it teaches students discipline, moral values and meditation.
Conclusion –Best aspect of Co-curricular activities at school is that they are part of academics, and makes teaching and learning experience exciting for both students and teachers. Students through classroom activities like quizzes, debates, recitation and any more academic games learn better. Therefore, Co-Curricular activities along with academics are essential for every student.
8 ways a student can get good marks in school?