Why extracurricular is important with academics?
Extracurricular activities play a significant part in overall development of students. Students must participate in extracurricular activities of their interest which will help them perform good such activities as well as academics. Read here to know how extracurricular is helpful for kids and should be balanced alongwith academics at school.
Extracurricular activities like games, dance, music, as well as arts and environmental education related activities are necessary along with academics for the overall development of students at the school. The students who take part in extracurricular activities are physically strong, active and smart. Also, their personal development and communication skills are also great. Students learn to interact, communicate and develop social skills as they engage in extracurricular activities. Read here how extracurricular activities along with academic at schools help students in their development.
1. Sports – This is the best stress buster for students and a valid excuse for a break from studies. It improves their physical as well as mental strength. Students who are physically active also score good marks in academic as they pay attention to their studies at school as well as at home. All factors which hamper studies such as laziness, stress and absent mindedness are driven away from kids who are engaged in physical games.
2. Music – Music has great healing power as it relieves students of any stress or pressure for studies. It soothes their mind and students feel fresh to start their studies again. Music also improves their learning and concentration skills. They learn patience, coordination and cooperation while practising music.
3. Dance – Dance is another physical stress buster that refreshes students. Dance also improves strength in students, keeps them healthy, flexible and active. Also, if they excel in various dance forms then they can get many opportunities to show their talent and even make a career in this.
4. Group Discussion – Students are divided into teams and pitched for discussion through debates, essay, recitation competition etc. This helps the students to develop communication skills, extend their knowledge as they get other outlook, thoughts and ideas too. Also, they develop public speaking skills and are more open to interact with people around them.
5. Art and Crafts – from an early stage students are taught art and crafts at school. They are trained in various types of arts like drawing, sketching, paper craft, woodcraft, designing/embroidery, sculptures, painting etc. These art and craft activities help students improve their imagination skills, their creative skills and they learn to express their thoughts more openly. Students who do arts and crafts do not find difficulty in learning as their patience and mental skill is strong.
6. Environment Projects – There are many environment cleanliness projects, resource conservation/sustainable development project which schools can teach their students. Also, such learning helps students think about the environment and they take it seriously and help implement measures to help the environment. Such measures include plantation, cleanliness drives at schools and their surroundings. Also, the government recognises students for their initiatives towards the environment and reward them. Students can also pursue their further education in environment protection specialisation.
Conclusion – Extracurricular activities are not just for student's refreshment, they play a huge role in overall physical and mental development. Schools and parents should encourage their kids to participate in extracurricular activities. Moreover, extracurricular activities should be made mandatory at schools, where students can take up their interest of activities. Generally, students perform good in their interesting subjects and activities, so schools must take initiatives for overall development of students.