Vishwanath Tripathi, the eminent Hindi writer has been selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman for the year 2013. He has been chosen for his memoir 'Vyomkesh Darvesh' that is a biography of the noted Hindi scholar Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi.
Tripathi, who is 82-year-old has around 20 publications by his name that includes memoirs, novel and poetry collection. Surya Prasad Dikshit, the Hindi litterateur headed the selection committee for the award.
The Vyas Samman 2012 was given to Hindi litterateur Narendra Kohli for his historical novel Na Bhooto Na Bhavishyati published in 2004 that is based on Swami Vivekananda and the era he belonged. The 2011 award was given to Professor Ramdarash Mishra for his collection of poems Aam ke Patte published in 2004. The collection of poems has tried to establish a relationship of man with ordinary objects like pen and table and has reminded their unnoticed importance in human life.
About Vyas Samman
Vyas Samman was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation in 1991 and is awarded annually in recognition of the hindi literary work published in past 10 years in genres like plays, novels, poetry, short stories, critiques and others. The award carries 2.5 lakh rupees and a citation and a plaque.
Past winners of the award are
• Vyas Samman 2010 - Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari for his collection of poems Phir Bhi Kuch Rah Jayega
• Vyas Samman 2009 - Amar Kanth for his book Inhi Hathiyaron Se
• Vyas Samman 2008 - Mannu Bhandari for his autobiography Ek Kahani Yah Bhi
• Vyas Samman 2007 - The Selection Board did not find anyone suitable for the award.
• Vyas Samman 2006 - Noted poet and literary critic Parmanand Srivastava .
• Vyas Samman 2005 - Katha Satisar by Chandrakanta
• Vyas Samman 2004 - Kath Gulab by Mridula (Jain) Garg
• Vyas Samman 2003 - Anwan by Chitra Mudgal
• Vyas Samman 2002 - Prithvi Ka Krishna Paksh by Kailash vajpayee
• Vyas Samman 2001 - Hindi author Giriraj Kishor, after receiving the Vyas Samman for his book Pehla Girmitiya
• Vyas Samman 2000 - Pehla Girimitya by Giriraj Kishore
• Vyas Samman 1999 - Bisarampur Ka Sant by Lal Sukla
• Vyas Samman 1998 - Paanch Aanganon wala Ghar by Govind Mishra
• Vyas Samman 1997 - Uttar Kabir Tatha Anya Kavitaen (Poems) by Dr. Kedarnath Singh
• Vyas Samman 1996 - Hindi Sahitya aur Samvedna ka Vikas by Prof. Ramswarup Chaturvedi
• Vyas Samman 1995 - Koi Dusra Nahin (Collection of poems) by Kunwar Narayan
• Vyas Samman 1994 - Sapna Abhi Bhi (Collection of poems) by Dr. Dharmvir Bharti
• Vyas Samman 1993 - Main Waqt ke Hoon Samane (Collection of poems) by Girija Kumar Mathur
• Vyas Samman 1992 - Neela Chand (Novel) by Dr. Shiv Prasad Singh
• Vyas Samman 1991 - Bharat ke Pracheen bhasha parivar aur Hindi in 3 volumes by Dr. Ram Vilas Sharma
Who: Vishwanath Tripathi
When: 6 February 2014