UPSEE-2017: Chemistry Syllabus
1. Atomic Structure: Bohr's concept. Quantum numbers, Electronic configuration, molecular orbital theory for homonuclear molecules, Pauli's exclusion principle.
2. Chemical Bonding: Electrovalency, co-valency, hybridization involving s,p and d orbitals hydrogen bonding.
3. Redox Reactions: Oxidation number, oxidising and reducing agents, balancing of equations.
Chemical Equilibrium and Kinetics: Equilibrium constant (for gaseous system only) Le Chaterlier's principle, ionic equilibrium, Ostwald's dilution law, hydrolysis, pH and buffer solution, solubility product, common-ion effect, rate constant and first order reaction.
4. Acid - Base Concepts: Bronsted Lowry & Lewis.
5. Electrochemistry: Electrode potential and electro-chemical series.
6. Catalysis: Types and applications.
7. Colloids: Types and preparation, Brownian movement, Tyndall effect, coagulation and peptization.
8. Colligative Properties of Solution: Lowering of vapour pressure, Osmotic pressure, depression of freezing point, elevation of boiling point, determination of molecular weight.
9. Periodic Table: Classification of elements on the basis of electronic configuration, properties of s,p and d block elements, ionization potential, electronegativity & electron affinity.
10. Preparation and Properties of: Hydrogen peroxide. copper sulphate, silver nitrate, plaster of paris, borax, Mohr's salt, alums, white and red lead, microcosmic salt and bleaching powder, sodium thiosulphate.
11.Thermochemistry: Exothermic & endothermic reactions Heat of reaction, Heat of combustion & formation, neutralisation, Hess's law.
12. General Organic Chemistry: Shape of organic compounds, Inductive effect, mesomeric effect, electrophiles & nucleophiles, Reaction intermediates: carboniumion, carbanions & free radical, Types of organic reactions, Cannizzaro Friedel Craft, Perkin, Aldol condensation.
12. Isomerism: Structural, Geometrical & Optical
14. IUPAC: Nomenclature of simple organic compounds.
15. Polymers: Addition & condensation polymers.
16. Corbohydrates: Monosaccharides.
17. Preparation and Properties of: Hydrocarbons, monohydric alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, monocarboxylic acids, primary amines, benzene, nitrobenzene, aniline, phenol, benzaldehyde, benzoic acid, Grignard Reagent.
18. Solid State: Structure of simple ionic compounds, Crystal imperfections (point defects only), Born-Haber cycle.
19. Petroleum: Important industrial fractions, cracking, octane number, anti knocking compounds.