At present, the size of Indian economy has grown more than $ 2 trillion and tagged as the highest growing economy in the world. The richest Indian state is Maharashtra, whose State Gross Domestic Product (SGDP) is $ 380 billion which is equal to Norway’s economy. The second richest Indian state is Tamil Nadu whose SGDP is $ 208 billion which is followed by Karnataka (SGDP $ 190 billion).
This article compares the SGDP of all the Indian states to the GDP of other countries. It is very interesting to know that which Indian state has equal GDP to a country in the world.
(Figures in the map are showing the Indian state's GDP)
Comparison between GDP of Indian states and other countries
1. Maharashtra, GDP = $ 380 billion = Norway
2. Tamil Nadu, GDP = $ 208 billion = Portugal
3. Karnataka, GDP = $ 190 billion = Czech Republic
4. Uttar Pradesh, GDP = $ 184 billion = Romania
5. Gujarat, GDP = $ 167 billion = Algeria
6. West Bengal, GDP = $ 137 billion = Kazakhstan
7. Rajasthan, GDP = $ 110 billion = Kuwait
8. Kerala, GDP = $ 110 billion = Kuwait
9. Telangana, GDP = $ 110 billion = Kuwait
10. Madhya Pradesh, GDP = $ 110 billion = Morocco
11. Andhra Pradesh, GDP = $ 100 billion = Puerto Rico
12. Bihar, GDP = $ 94 billion = Sudan
13. Delhi, GDP = $ 92 billion = Slovakia
14. Haryana, GDP = $ 66 billion = Uzbekistan
15. Odisha, GDP = $ 61 billion = Luxembourg
16. Punjab, GDP = $ 61 billion = Luxembourg
17. Chhattisgarh, GDP = $ 41 billion = Lithuania
18. Assam, GDP = $ 38 billion = Serbia
19. Jharkhand, GDP = $ 33 billion = Ivory Coast
20. Uttarakhand, GDP = $ 28 billion = Latvia
21. J & K, GDP = $ 20 billion = Nepal
22. Himachal Pradesh, GDP = $ 19 billion = Senegal
23. Goa, GDP = $ 6.8 billion = Guinea
24. Chandigarh, GDP = $ 4.4 billion = Barbados
25. Meghalaya, GDP = $ 4.1 billion = Suriname
26. Tripura, GDP = $ 4.0 billion = Suriname
27. Puducherry, GDP = $ 3.5 billion = Guyana
28. Arunachal Pradesh, GDP = $ 2.9 billion = Maldives
29. Nagaland, GDP = $ 2.6 billion = South Sudan
30. Manipur, GDP = $ 2.1 billion = Bhutan
31. Sikkim, GDP = $ 1.8 billion = Lesotho
32. Mizoram, GDP = $ 1.7 billion = Belize
33. Andaman and Nicobar Islands, GDP = $ 910 million = Saint Kitts and Nevis
34. Dadra and Nagar Haveli, GDP = $ 360 million = Sao Tome and Principe
35. Daman and Diu, GDP = $ 160 million = Kiribati
36. Lakshadweep, GDP = $ 60 million = Tuvalu
The economic situation in all the states of India is as follows:
It is clearly visible in the map of India (given below) that the Southern, Western and Central Indian states are more prosperous compared to the North-Eastern States of India.
Region Wise calculation of Indian GDP gives some interesting facts as:
1. The total GDP of Southern India is equivalent to $ 722 billion, which is equivalent to the economy of 'Turkey'.
2. The total GDP of Northern India is $ 580 billion, which is equivalent to the economy of 'Argentina'.
3. The total GDP of Western India is $ 554 billion, which is equivalent to the economy of 'Argentina'.
4. The total GDP of eastern India is $ 326 billion, which is equivalent to the economy of 'Egypt'.
5. The total GDP of central India is $ 152 billion, which is equivalent to the economy of 'Qatar'.
6. The total GDP of North-eastern India is $ 57 billion, which is equivalent to the economy of 'Costa Rica'.
It is proved from the above figures that India is emerging as a fast growing economy in the world. The richest Indian state is Maharashtra, whose SGDP is equal to Norway’s economy. The second richest Indian state regarding GDP is Tamil Nadu whose SGDP is equal to Portuguese economy. Due to the Total Gross Domestic Product of these states, India is the 7th largest economy in the world today.