The UPSC will conduct the NDA & NA (II) Exam on 10 September 2017. For the benefit of NDA aspirants, Jagran Josh is providing practice questions on Geography. The answers to the questions along with detailed explanations will help the candidates in improving scores in the GK Section of the General Aptitude Test (GAT). The questions are given below.
1. Which of the following the tributaries of the river Ganga originates in the plains?
2. Which of the following figures in cubic kilometres correctly shows the total annual precipitation in India?
3. As per an official estimate, India receives this much per cent of rainfall during the South West monsoon season (June to September)?
4. The highest proportion of the total ground water used in the country is in which one of the following sectors?
d.None of the above
5. Reliance’s Jamnagar Oil Refinery, considered as the largest refinery in the world, is located in
a. Andhra Pradesh
6. At which one of the following places, India’s first atomic power station started?
b.Rana Pratap Sagar
7. The Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited is located in……?
d. Madhya Pradesh
8. India’s global position in terms of installed wind power capacity is
9. Which is not a factor of industrial location?
10. The earliest Iron and Steel Company to be established in India was:
c. Visvesvaraiya Iron and Steel Works
d.Mysore Iron and Steel Works.
Answers with Explanations
1. (d) Gomti
Gomti is a monsoon and ground water fed river. It originates from the Gomat Taal near Pilibhit. It extends 960 kilometres through Uttar Pradesh and meets the Ganges River near Kaithi in Varanasi district.
2. (b) 4,000
India receives an average rainfall of about 1170mm which corresponds to an annual precipitation of about 4000 BCM(Billion Cubic Metre) including snowfall.
3. (c) 75%
In India, there is considerable variation in rainfall both temporally and spatially. Nearly 75% of the total rainfall i.e., 3000 BCM occurs during the monsoon season confined to 3 to 4 month (June to September) in a year.
4. (a) Irrigation
As per an estimate of the Union Ministry of Water Resources, Irrigation accounts for nearly 90% of total groundwater water used. Its share is much higher in agriculture-heavy states.
5. (d) Gujarat
The Jamnagar Refinery is a private sector crude oil refinery owned by Reliance Industries in Jamnagar, Gujarat. The refinery was commissioned on 14 July 1999 with an installed capacity of 6,68,000 barrels per day. At present, it is considered as the largest refinery in the world.
6. (d) Tarapur
With a total capacity of 1400 MW, Tarapur is the largest nuclear power station in India. The facility is operated by the NPCIL (Nuclear Power Corporation of India). It was commissioned in 1969.
7. (a) Tamil Nadu
Neyveli Lignite Corporation India Limited (NLCIL) is a 'Navratna' profit making company. It is engaged in mining of lignite and generation of power through lignite based thermal power plants. NLCIL was established by the Union Government in 1956.
8. (d) 4th
As per the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, India attained 4th position in global wind power installed capacity in December 2016 with 46.33 GW grid-interactive power and 7,518 MW of grid-connected power.
9. (b) Population density
To produce goods in a industry, distance from the market, availability of capital at affordable rates and power are very crucial inputs. Hence, they play a major role in the location of an industry. The Populaltion density has not much relevance compared to the three other factors given here.
India’s earliest Iron and Steel Company is TISCO. At present it is called as Tata Steel. It was established on 25 August 1907 in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. It was established by Jamshetji Tata.