Amar Gopal Bose, the Founder of Bose Corporation Passed Away at 83
Amar Gopal Bose, the man behind Bose Corporation died on 12 July 2013 in Wayland, Massachusetts. He was 83 years of age.
Amar Gopal Bose, the man behind Bose Corporation died on 12 July 2013 in Wayland, Massachusetts. He was 83 years of age. He was the Indian-American entrepreneur as well as academic. He founded Bose Corporation in 1964.
Life Sketch of Amar Gopal Bose
• Amar Gopal Bose was an Indian-American entrepreneur as well as academic.
• He is the man behind sound systems of Bose Corporation.
• He was born on 2 November 1929 in Philadelphia.
• He earned his bachelor’s, masters and doctoral degrees from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
• He then, also remained the professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for more than 45 years.
• He was the founder as well as chairman of Bose Corporation. Bose Corporation was found in the year 1964.
• Forbes 400 listed him as the 271st richest man in the world, in the year 2007. He had the net worth of 1.8 billion US dollar. In the year 2011, he had the net worth of 1.0 billion US dollar.
The Man behind the Psycho-Acoustics Technology
• Amar Gopal Bose was initially involved in audio experience as well as sound technology, which prompted him for revolution in acoustics.
• He found that hi-fi technology was not up to the mark, which compelled him towards the research of psycho-acoustics.
• He discovered that the music in concert hall sounded good because around 80 percent of the sound was indirect. It bounced off the walls as well as ceiling before reaching the ears. This was known as psycho-acoustics.
• Psycho-acoustics is the study of sound perception.
• He, in turn, incorporated the principles of psycho-acoustics into Bose Corporation.
• Among the first products to come out from Bose Corporation, based on the new principles of psycho-acoustics research, was the Bose 901 Direct/Reflecting speaker system, which came in the year 1968.
• Actually, he started researching on speaker technology in the year 1956 after completing the Ph.D. from MIT.
Honors and Awards accredited to him
• He received Fellow, IEEE in the year 1972 for his contribution to nonlinear systems, two-state amplifier-modulators as well as loudspeaker design.
• He remained the honorary member at the Audio Engineering Society in the year 1985.
• In the year 2010, he was awarded with the IEEE/RSE Wolfson James Clerk Maxwell Award for his contribution to engineering education, industrial leadership as well as consumer electronics in sound reproduction.
• In the year 2011, he was on the MIT150 list of the top 150 innovators and ideas from MIT. He ranked at number 9.
Applications of BOSE Systems
• Bose Wave radio and the Bose noise-canceling headphones were among the later inventions of Bose Corporation. These were adopted by the commercial pilots as well as military pilots.
• The software program of Bose helped the acoustic engineers to reproduce the sound from any place in the large hall, even before the building of the site. This system was used for creation of sound systems for various places such as the Sistine Chapel, Staples Center in Los Angeles as well as the grand mosque in Mecca- Masjid al-Haram.
• In the year 1982, the top automakers of the world- Mercedes and Porsche, also started installing Bose audio systems in the vehicles.
• Bose speakers and music systems remain favourite for automobile sector in the world even today.
About the Bose Corporation
• Bose Corporation is the privately held American corporation, which is based in Framingham, Massachusetts.
• It was founded in the year 1964 by Amar Gopal Bose.
• Bose Corporation specialises in audio equipment.
• It has 8 plants, 153 retail stores as well as one automotive subsidiary in Stow, Massachusetts.
• It is also world-renowned for automotive sound systems, noise-cancelling headsets as well as the loudspeakers. Bose Corporation also manufactures headphones and amplifiers.
• Bose Corporation also conducted research in the cold fusion as well as automotive suspension technologies.
Bose Corporation- Line of its Specialised Products
• The specialised products of Bose Corporation are as follows:
• Car audio system
• Automotive suspension system
• Noise cancelling headphones
• Truck driver seat isolation system
• Commercial systems
• L1 Portable Systems
• Military applications
• Multimedia systems
• Speaker systems
• Home entertainment systems