Current Affairs in Short: 3 January 2020
The state education department of Gujarat has launched ‘Study in Gujarat’ campaign to transform the state into an educational hub at both national and international level.
Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal to inaugurate New Delhi World Book Fair 2020
• The Union Minister of Human Resources Development Ramesh Pokhriyal will inaugurate the 28th New Delhi World Book Fair on January 4, 2020.
• The New Delhi World Book Fair 2020 will be held at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
• The book fair is being organised by the National Book Trust (NBT).
• The chief guest of the Book Fair will be Gandhian scholar Girishwar Mishra.
• The fair will end on January 12, 2020.
Smriti Irani launches ‘Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav’ Campaign
• Union Minister Smriti Irani on January 3, 2020 launched the “Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav” Campaign.
• The campaign aims to invite suggestions from the people of Delhi for formulating the party's manifesto for Delhi Assembly polls.
• The campaign will be active for 14 days in all the 70 Constituencies of Delhi.
• In this regard, Smriti Irani also launched mobile number 6357171717 for people to record their suggestions.
Hillary Clinton appointed as new chancellor of Queen's University Belfast in Ireland
• Former US Secretary Hillary Clinton was appointed as Chancellor of the Queen's University in Belfast, Ireland.
• The position of Queen's University’s chancellor has been vacant since 2018 following the demise of Thomas J Moran, who was the Chairman and Chief Executive of Mutual of America Life Insurance Company.
• Clinton becomes the first female chancellor of the University.
• She will have a five-year term.
Nutrition deficiency declining & obesity going up in India: WHO
• Dr Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist of WHO, said that the Nutrition deficiency is declining & the obesity is going up in India and other developing countries.
• Two-thirds of the deaths among under 5 children is majorly due to the twin challenges of nutrition deficiency and obesity.
• In India, the nutrition situation differs from state to state.
Gujarat launches ‘Study in Gujarat’ campaign
• The state education department of Gujarat has launched ‘Study in Gujarat’ campaign to transform the state into an educational hub at both national and international level.
• Over 22 private colleges and government universities and 4 colleges are participating in the campaign.
• Under the campaign, the state has decided to conduct road shows in western Asian countries between January 15-22, 2020.
• The roadshows will also be conducted in 10 cities of India including Srinagar in J&K.