Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi and Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia signed the International Cooperation Agreement to collaborate in academic programmes and in frontier areas of research in Media and Communication on 4 November 2013.
Highlights of the Agreement
• The agreement was signed by Bimal Julka, IIMC Chairman and Secretary I&B Ministry and Prof. Peter Coaldrake, Vice Chancellor, Queensland University of Technology.
• The agreement envisages bringing ICT in academic programmes in a significant way.
• Both the institutes agreed for the development of joint venture projects and also for opening avenues for developing a collaborative doctoral programme to benefit students and faculty.
• The bilateral cooperation agreement also envisages organization of joint academic and scientific activities, such as courses, conferences, seminars, symposia or lectures, exchange of staff and students and exchange of materials and publications of common interest.
• One of the core areas of the agreement is to facilitate Training of senior and mid-level Indian Information Service officers at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT), especially in use of modern technology and social media for providing information about government policies to stakeholders.
• The objective is to ensure skill development of IIS officers in critical areas of the changing media landscape.
• This is the first agreement signed by IIMC seeking international collaboration and partnership with a foreign university.
• The agreement aims to facilitate a two-way value added training and capacity building programme in the field of Mass Media & Communication.
• The cooperation agreement shall be valid for five (5) years from the date of signing. It was decided that the agreement shall be reviewed six (6) months prior to expiry and may be renewed for a further term by mutual agreement.