Union Information Technology and Electronics Ministry on 27 January 2018 announced to launch the Stree Swabhiman Initiative to ensure and maintain perfect health for Women and maintain Health Hygiene.
The initiative was launched in partnership with Common Service Centres (CSCs).
Highlights of the Stree Swabhiman Initiative
• The initiative will be implemented by the central government in coordination of the CSC (Common Service Centers). The entire project will also be implemented within the country at the ground root level.
• Under this initiative, Common Service Centres (CSC) will provide access to affordable, reliable and modern (eco-friendly) sanitary napkins (menstrual pads) to adolescent girls and women in rural areas.
• Under this initiative, semi-automatic and manual sanitary napkin manufacturing units will be set up at CSC for producing affordable and eco-friendly sanitary napkins.
• These micro manufacturing units will be operated by women entrepreneurs and each production unit will generate employment for 8-10 women.
• The new sanitary pads that will be manufactured by the CSC will be more eco friendly and cheaper ones.
• It will help promote the idea of protecting the rights of all women and girls within the country.
When: 27 January 2018