Union MRT&H issued Draft Notification on E-rickshaws
Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry issued draft notification on e-rickshaws.
Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry (MRT&H) on 16 September 2014 issued draft notification on e-rickshaws. The Ministry specified safety standards for e-rickshaws to provide legal status to these vehicles.
Highlights of the draft notification
• e-rickshaws will have top speed of 25 km an hour.
• The power of e-rickshaw's motor will not be more than 2000W.
• It will carry a maximum of four passengers and 40 Kgs of luggage in total.
• It also proposed to make driving licence and periodic fitness certificates mandatory for e-rickshaws.
• Every driving license issued or renewed by a licensing authority to drive an e-rickshaw shall be valid for a period of not more than three years from the date of issue or till the validity of the driving license, whichever is earlier.
• The fitness certificate will be made only after carrying out tests. The government asked for sample vehicles from e-rickshaw associations by 30 November 2014 for verification by a test agency.
• The e-rickshaws will run on specified areas or routes only.
• The safety standards of e-rickshaws were also specified including lights, wheel rims and the battery.
The Delhi High Court on 31 July 2014 banned plying of e-rickshaws on the roads of Delhi saying that they are a hazard to other traffic as well as citizens