Veteran Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Amitava Nandy died on 15 August 2014 in Kolkata. He was 71 and was suffering from cancer in pancreas.
The President of India Pranab Mukherjee sent a condolence message to Nandy's wife, Ila Nandy, who is a councillor of Bidhannagar Municipality.
About Amitava Nandy
- Amitava Nandy was born on 12 March 1943.
- He was a Member of Parliament of 14th Lok Sabha (2004-09).
- He represented the Dum Dum constituency in North 24 Parganas of West Bengal and was a member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) political party.
- He played an important role in the implementation of the metro rail expansion from Dum Dum to Dakshineshwar.
- He failed to retain the seat in 2009 losing to Trinamool Congress leader Saugata Roy
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group