Quizzes for the week covers the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the upcoming competitive exam. The questions covered in this weekly segment include 18th Indo-Russia Annual Summit, heaviest rocket of India GSLV Mk- III and glass frog species, Hyalinobatrachium yaku.
1. What is the theme of the 2017 International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers?
a) Honouring Our Heroes
b) Together for Peace
c) Investing in Peace around the world
d) Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All
2. India’s first multi-modal electric vehicle project was launched in which city?
b) New Delhi
3. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be launching the heaviest rocket ever made by India, GSLV Mk- III. What is the launch vehicle popularly called?
a) Short man
b) Fat Boy
c) Little Boy
d) Tall man
4. Who of the following is the feature in the Union Government’s campaign called Darwaza Band that was launched on 30 May 2017?
a) Sunny Leone
b) Priyanka Chopra
c) Deepika Padukone
d) Anushka Sharma
5. Where was a new glass frog species, Hyalinobatrachium yaku, with transparent skin and visible beating heart found?
6. According to United Nation's top humanitarian coordinator Stephen O'Brien this country is facing total social, economic and institutional collapse.
7. Researchers from which country were successful in 3D bioprinting of cartilage using a bioink?
8. Which Indian state has raised the retirement age of government doctors to 62 years?
a) Madhya Pradesh
b) Andhra Pradesh
c) Uttar Pradesh
9. India’s GDP grew by what percent in fourth quarter of financial year 2016-17?
a) 5.7 percent
b) 6.1 percent
c) 6.9 percent
d) 7.3 percent
10. Which Indian athlete among the following has been featured in the top 15 of ESPN’s World Fame 100 list for 2017?
a) Saina Nehwal
b) Mary Kom
c) Virat Kohli
d) PV Sindhu
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the 18th Indo-Russia Annual Summit on 1 June 2017 in this city
a) New Delhi
b) St. Petersberg
12. What was the 2017 theme of World No Tobacco Day (WNTD)?
a) Tobacco – A Threat To Development
b) Tobacco: Deadly In Any Form Or Disguise
c) Tobacco Kills, Don’t Be Duped
d) Tobacco: Deadly For Human Development
13. Which country has decided to pull out from the Paris Agreement on Climate Change?
b) United States of America
14. Which state police department launched patrolling on bicycle to improve policing?
a) Mumbai Police
b) Bengaluru Police
c) Delhi Police
d) Kolkata Police
15. This Cricketing team that in recent past launched Twenty20 league, the league will be called the T20 Global League.
b) New Zealand
d) South Africa
1. (c) Investing in Peace around the world
The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers 2017 was observed on 29 May 2017 with the theme Investing in Peace around the world. The Day offers a chance to pay tribute to the uniformed and civilians personnel’s invaluable contribution to the work of the Organization.
2. (a) Nagpur
India’s first multi-modal electric vehicle project was inaugurated at the Nagpur Airport Complex to promote eco-friendly transport. With this, Nagpur became the first city in India to have electric mass mobility system with a fleet of 200 electric vehicles including taxis, buses, e-rickshaw and autos.
3. (b) Fat Boy
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be launching the heaviest rocket ever made by India, GSLV Mk- III, on 5 June 2017. The rocket, called the ‘Fat Boy’ reportedly weighs as much as 200 full-grown Asian elephants. It is not only capable of carrying the heaviest satellites but it could also enable India to send manned missions to space, making it only the fourth nation in the world to be able to do so.
4. (d) Anushka Sharma
The campaign to be led by Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan will also feature Anushka Sharma, who will be seen encouraging women to stand up for this issue in their villages and assume a leadership role. The campaign supported by the World Bank was rolled out countrywide immediately after the launch.
5. (b) Ecuador
A group of scientists have discovered a new species of glass frog, of the genus Hyalinobatrachium. The frog’s beating heart can be seen right through its chest. The new species, Hyalinobatrachium yaku was found in the Amazonian lowlands of Ecuador. The frog boasts green spots across its back and a ‘red heart fully visible’ underneath, visible due to the transparent membrane around its organs.
6. (b) Yemen
The United Nation's top humanitarian co-ordinator has said Yemen is facing total social, economic and institutional collapse. Stephen O'Brien was speaking to the UN Security Council, telling them urgent action is required. Yemen is in the midst of a humanitarian crisis, with almost seven million people on the brink of famine.
7. (b) India
A team led by Prof. Sourabh Ghosh from the Department of Textile Technology at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi was successful in 3D bioprinting of cartilage using a bioink. The bioink has high concentration of bone-marrow derived cartilage stem cells, silk proteins and a few factors.
8. (c) Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh Government has extended the retirement age of doctors working under provincial medical service from 60 to 62 years. The decision was taken by the state’s cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a meeting held at Lucknow on 30 May 2017.
9. (b) 6.1 percent
India lost its fastest-growing major economy tag in the January-March period, which was the fourth quarter of the financial year (FY) 2016-17, with the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth coming down to 6.1 per cent compared with a provisional 7 per cent in the previous quarter. The growth of 6.1 per cent was also lower than China’s growth in the same period which was 6.9 per cent.
10. (c) Virat Kohli
Indian captain Virat Kohli along with former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and batsmen Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina have been featured in ESPN’s World Fame 100 list for 2017. While both Kohli and Dhoni feature in the top 20 at the 13th and 15th rank respectively, Yuvraj and Raina have been ranked 90th and 95th respectively.
11. (b) St. Petersberg
Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the 18th Indo-Russia Annual Summit. He arrived in Russian city of St. Petersberg on 31 May 2017 after visiting Spain. The summit envisages closer economic ties between the two countries as Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin interacted with the business leaders and reviewed the decisions taken during the summit in Goa, October 2016.
12. (a) Tobacco – A Threat To Development
The World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed every year on 31 May to encourage a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption around the globe. The day is further intended to draw attention to the widespread prevalence of tobacco use and to negative health effects, which currently lead to nearly 6 million deaths each year worldwide.
13. (b) The United States of America
President Donald Trump announced on 1 June 2017 that he would withdraw the United States from the landmark 2015 Paris agreement to fight climate change. The move, perfectly in line with Trump’s "America First" message that he used during his Presidential campaign, has drawn flak from US allies and business leaders across the world.
14. (c) Delhi Police
The Delhi Police launched patrolling on bicycle to improve policing in congested localities in trans-Yamuna region of the city. The move is also being billed as a green initiative.
15. (d) South Africa
Cricket South Africa (CSA) on 31 May 2017 announced that it has planned a Twenty20 cricket league and it will be known as T20 Global League. As per reports, the league will make its debut in the last quarter of 2017.