World’s largest Single Rooftop Solar Power Plant inaugurated in Amritsar
This is the largest Solar Power Plant spread over 82 acres of rooftop in single campus on multiple roofs with installed capacity of 19.5 MW.
World’s largest Single Rooftop Solar Power Plant with capacity of 11.5 MegaWatt (MW) was inaugurated at Dera Baba Jaimal Singh at Beas, in Amritsar, Punjab. It was inaugurated by Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal on 18 May 2016.
About the Rooftop Solar Power Plant
• This is the largest Solar Power Plant spread over 82 acres of rooftop in single campus on multiple roofs with installed capacity of 19.5 MW.
• The plant has been set up with the cost of 139 crore rupees.
• This state-of-the-art project was installed by the Radha Soami Satsang Beas Educational and Environmental Society with technical collaboration of Punjab Energy Development Agency (PEDA).
• The project will generate clean and green energy sufficient to power approximately 8000 homes.
This solar power project at Dera Beas will help in abating about 4 lakh tonnes of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) in next 25 years. This is equivalent to plant nearly 2 lakh trees.
Solar Power Plan in India
• Union Government in December 2015 revised the target of 20000 MW of solar power to be achieved by 2022 to one lakh MW of solar power in the same time.
• The government in its submission to the United Nations Frame Work Convention on Climate Change on Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) has stated that India will achieve 40% cumulative Electric power capacity from non-fossil fuel based energy resources by 2030 with the help of transfer of technology and low cost International Finance including from Green Climate Fund.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App