Are you a serious gamer who can spend hours before the screen playing GTA, FIFA or DOTA? What if someone told you that you can transform your passion to play video-games into an amazing career option? Yes, you heard it right! With the gaming fever catching up with almost everyone, the gaming industry is also experiencing growth at an exponential rate. Today, game development and game designing have emerged as lucrative career options that can help you build a successful future ahead. Moreover, it also gives you a chance to develop games that will keep your audiences hooked on to their X-Boxes and PlayStations.
From game designing to development to programming, you can make a career in the gaming industry in a variety of fields. But, building a career in the gaming industry takes proper training and knowledge and this is where different courses in game design and development come into the picture. So, let’s discuss some of the top game designing and development courses that are available in India and see how they can help you craft a successful career as a game designer/developer.
Key processes in building a Game
Game development is a complicated process and involves many different professionals coming together to give shape to the ‘action’ that you see on your screen. Among the many different processes that are followed to build a game, the two key ones include:
- Game Designing – This is the phase where the entire design along with the initial framework of the gameis conceptualised.
- Game Development –This is the phase where the game designer’s ideas are converted and shaped into an actual game.
However, when it comes to game development courses, both these aspects are covered and taught simultaneously as part of a single curriculum.
Why opt for professional Game Development courses?
Many students who opt for computer science engineering or other similar fields feel that game development is buta mere subsidiary of their domain and that no specialized knowledge is required to become a successful game designer or developer. This is a wrong perception that needs to be changed. Building a game that is creative, intuitive and inspiring at the same time takes more than just writing a few lines of code or designing creative graphics. It needs combined effort and knowledge of a variety of disciplines including computer science/programming, creative writing, and graphic designing to name a few. And that is why it is important for people interested in game development as a career option to opt for professional courses that can not only help them learn these skills but also teach an innovative approach to use them in a creative manner.
Top Courses in Game Design and Development in India
Thanks to the recent boom in the gaming industry, a lot of new institutes have started offering professional courses in game development and design. Despite being a niche field, the domain offers a variety of courses ranging from certificate programmes, graduate level programmes, masters level courses and others. Some of these popular courses are as follows -
Certification Level courses in Game Designing and Development
- Certificate Course in Gaming
- Certificate course in Game Art & Design
Diploma Level courses in Game Designing and Development
- Diploma in Game Design and Integration
- Professional Diploma in Game Art
- Diploma in Animation, Gaming and Special Effect
- Advanced Diploma in Game Art & 3D Game Content Creation
- Advance Diploma in Game Programming
- Advance Diploma in Game Design and Development Application
Graduate Level courses in Game Designing and Development
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Graphics, Animation & Gaming
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Digital Filmmaking & Animation
- Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) – Computer Science and Game Development
- Bachelor of Science in Animation Game Design and Development
Masters Level courses in Game Designing and Development
- Integrated M.Sc. in Multimedia & Animation with Game Art & Design
- M.Sc. in Gaming
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Game Design and Development
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Multimedia and Animation
Who can study Game Designing and Development?
Game designing and development is a field for highly creative and passionate individuals. This field like any other creative field requires a lot involvement and patience on the part of the students. Innovation and creativity are essential skills for those who wish to build a career in game designing.
- Creative, passionate, innovative individuals with an interest in gaming.
- Should be interested in creating games, learning professional skills and game development process.
How to get admission in Game Designing and Development courses in India?
As far as eligibility for game development and design courses are concerned, it varies as per the type of course that you opt for as well as the institute that you pick for it. For instance, a certificate level course in game designing can be taken up right after completion of Class 10 from any stream. Whereas, for diploma or graduate level courses, you have to clear Class 12 Board exam from any stream. For masters, the eligibility is graduate degree, preferably in a technical field.
Academic Qualification Required
- Certificate Level Courses: Passed Class 10 exams with any stream from a recognised education board.
- Diploma Level Courses: class 12th exam with any stream from a recognised education board
- Graduate Level Courses: class 12th exam with any stream from a recognised education board
- Masters Level Courses: Graduate Degree in similar or relevant field
Top Institutes Offering courses in Game Designing and Development
Thanks to the mobile revolution, the game designing and development has become a very popular career choice among students. While in some colleges this course is offered as a standalone course, many others offer it in combination with some other specialisations such as animation, digital filmmaking, graphic designing etc. Some colleges also offer it as a specialisation with their computer science courses. The top institutes that offer a course in Game designing and Development in India are -
- BhartiVidyapeeth University, Pune
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic (MAAC), Mumbai
- Arena Animations, New Delhi
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
- iPixio Animation College, Bangalore
- Animaster Academy – College for excellence in Animation, Bangalore
- Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida
Career Prospects as a Game Designer and Developer
Career as a game designer and developer is a very exciting one. You can opt to work in a variety of genres ranging from action, sports, fantasy etc. Also, the gaming industry has seen a great growth in the Indian markets over the last few years and has provided several job opportunities for gaming enthusiasts. The field also offers some lucrative salary prospects for people with good talent and experience. Not to mention that pursuing a course in this field helps you convert your hobby into your job.
Bullet Points for the video
- Offers great career opportunities
- Fast growing industry
- Work opportunities in multiple game genres
- Offers lucrative salary packages
- Help turn your hobby into a career
So there you have it! If you love to play games and have always dreamt of making your own game then career as a game designer just might be the right stepping stone for you to a bright future.