Republic Day 2015 was celebrated on 26 January 2015 across the nation. This was the 66th Republic Day of India. First Republic Day was celebrated on 26 January 1950 when India became a Republic with Constitution of India coming into force on this day.
Main theme of 2015 Republic Day Parade was Women Empowerment (Nari Shakti).
US President Barack Obama was the Chief Guest at the 66th Republic Day parade.
Main Highlights of 2015 Republic Day Parade
• For the first time the Republic Day parade witnessed an all-women contingent of Indian Army, Navy and Air Force.
• For the first time, the President of United States attended the parade as Chief Guest.
• For the first time, the President of India Pranab Mukherjee and the chief guest, US President Barack Obama arrived in different motorcades, a departure from the standard practice of arriving together.
• US President was honoured by the Guard of Honour at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. The Guard of Honour was led by Wing Commander Puja Thakur who became the first woman to give Guard of Honour to a visiting major foreign dignitary at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Facts about Republic Day
• The first Chief Guest of Republic Day Parade was President of Indonesia Sukarno in 1950.
• During 1950–1954, Republic Day celebrations were organised at different venues. From 1955, the parade was started at Rajpath.In 1955,the then Governor General of Pakistan Malik Ghulam Muhammad became the chief Guest of Republic Day Parade.
• Parade starts when prime minister of the India offer garland at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at the India Gate. It is done to commemorate all the sacrifices of the Indian army soldiers while saving their country.
• The military salute is taken by the President of India during the parade whereas military salute is taken by the state governors in the state capitals.