Indian Railways on 2 August 2017 announced that people can now pay later for tickets booked under the tatkal quota on the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corp (IRCTC) website.
Till now, this service was available only for general reservations.
Highlights of the Book Now - Pay Later facility
• The book now and pay later mode enables customers to book tatkal e-ticket and pay the fare within a period of 15 days.
• While booking an e-ticket, the customer will be provided with an ‘ePaylater’ scheme and a service charge of 3.5 per cent will be levied on the transaction amount along with other taxes.
• Once the e-ticket is booked with the ePaylater option, an email link and SMS will be sent to the customer for making the payment within the stipulated period.
• However, if a customer fails to make the payment within stipulated period, it will lead to levy of penal interest at the rate of 36 per cent per annum and may also lead to ticket cancellation or user account deactivation.
• The users, who will use this facility, will be able to pay through cash, debit card or credit card by opting to have tickets delivered at their doorstep.
Earlier, for tatkal bookings, people were required to pay first via standard online payment gateways before their tickets were confirmed.
This move will do away with the chances of transaction failures as often customers' money got debited and the tickets were not issued due to multiple reasons. The refund cycle for such cases is about 7 to 15 days.
What: Launched by IRCTC
When: 2 August 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider