Current Affairs in Short: 16 January 2020
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos recently announced that he would invest USD 1 to digitize small and medium businesses in India.
Amazon to invest USD 1 billion in India: Jeff Bezos
• Amazon founder Jeff Bezos recently announced that he would invest USD 1 to digitize small and medium businesses in India.
• He said that we are expecting to export 10 billion dollar goods made in India by 2025. Amazon is one of the world’s biggest e-commerce companies.
• Jeff Bezos announced that the Indo-US alliance will be the most important feature for both countries in the 21st century.
Captain Tanya Shergill creates history
• Captain Tanya Shergill of the Army's Corps of Signals will command the Republic Day parade this time. She has made history while leading all-men parade contingent.
• Tanya Shergill belongs to the Army background and hails from Hoshiarpur, Punjab. Shergill is a captain in the Army's Signal Corps.
• She has completed her graduation in electronics and communications. She was commissioned in Indian Army in March 2017.
Chhattisgarh Govt launches Rojgaar Sangi App
• Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel has recently launched Rojgaar Sangi App. It has launched to provide job opportunities to skilled youth.
• This app will benefit 7 lakh students trained under 705 courses offered by Chhattisgarh State Skill Development Authority.
• This app allows any organization and individual to post information of vacancies as per their requirement.
India ranks 84th in Henley Passport Index
• According to the recent Henley Passport Index, India ranked 84th in the list. However, Japan’s passport has considered as the strongest passport of the world.
• Japan is holding first position from last three years. About 199 passports were considered to launch the index.
• Other top 5 rankings of the index are - Singapore (2nd) Germany (3rd), South Korea (3th), Italy (4th), Finland (4th) and Spain (5th).
US-China trade deal
• The US signed a first-stage trade agreement with China on 15 January, 2020. US President Donald Trump has described it a historical deal.
• The first phase of the agreement between US and China included intellectual property protection and enforcement, expansion of American agriculture, removal of barriers to American financial services, and more.
• Both countries have signed this deal after two years of trade-war. This deal can bring positive results to the world economy.