Current Affairs in Short: 28 January 2019
Part-time bowler Ambati Rayudu was banned from bowling in international cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC) after he failed to submit a test of his bowling action. He was suspended from bowling on an immediate basis by ICC.
ICC bans Ambati Rayudu from bowling in international cricket with immediate effect
• Part-time bowler Ambati Rayudu was banned from bowling in international cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC) after he failed to submit a test of his bowling action.
• He was suspended from bowling on an immediate basis by ICC.
• His action was reported by the match officials during the first ODI between India and Australia in the recently-concluded series, which India won 2-1.
• Rayudu bowled just two overs in the match.
• The suspension will remain in place until he is tested, and can demonstrate he is able to bowl with a legal action.
70th Republic Day observed in India
• India observed the 70th Republic Day on January 26, 2019.
• The Republic Day Parade Ceremony commenced with Prime Minister Narendra Modi leading the nation in paying homage to the martyrs by laying a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti under India Gate.
• This year, all women marching contingent of the Assam Rifles took part for the first time. Major Khusboo Kanwar led the contingent.
• The main colourful celebrations were held at the historic Rajpath where President Ram Nath Kovind hosted President of Republic of South Africa and Supreme Commander of the South African National Defence Force Mr Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa.
• The day commemorates January 26, 1950 when India shed the last relic of colonial system and the first President of India took oath of office.
Ministry of Defence launched ‘RDP INDIA 2019’
• The Ministry of Defence launched a mobile app 'RDP India 2019' on the Republic Day with the intent of making available the highlights of the Republic Day event to the general public all over the world.
• The app contained information about the Parade on Rajpath, New Delhi, including Order of the March, details of the tableaux presented by different States and Ministries, children cultural performances, fly past and names of recipients of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2019.
• It was extremely informative to the spectators witnessing the Parade and was widely appreciated. The app also hadthe provision for live streaming of the Parade.
Kumbh contributes to infrastructure Development at Prayagraj City
• Prayagraj Kumbh 2019 has changed the face of entire city and suburbs.
• Investment of crores for the infrastructure development in the town by Prayagraj Development Authority has widened most of the roads particularly Sangam, Public places and historical buildings bound roads.
• Vehicular Transport has been strengthened and roads have been freed from traffic jams due to removal of encroachments.
• About 150 kilometres of road has been constructed in the city area under the drive to widen roads.
• Connectivity from all railway and bus stations and Airport has been strengthened connecting most parts of the city.
• A new civil Airport has come to facilitate the visiting devotees and tourists.
• Newly constructed Airport has linked Prayagraj to several important cities including Kolkata, Nagpur, Indore, Lucknow, New Delhi, Bengluru, Ahmadabad, Dehradun and Patna with Air services.
Nitin Gadkari laid foundation stone for six-lane access-controlled highway to link Akshardham with EPE Junction
• Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for development of a six-lane corridor from Akshardham in East Delhi to the Eastern Peripheral Expressway junction on Baghpat Road.
• The 31.3 km road stretch is part of NH-709B that will run from Akshardham to Saharanpur Bypass.
• The alignment of the road will be from Akshardham - Geeta Colony - Shastri Park - Khazuri Khas - Delhi/UP border – Mandola - EPE Intersection.
• It will be developed in two packages – first a 14.75 km stretch from Akshardham to Delhi/UP border and the other 16.57 km stretch from Delhi/UP border to EPE Intersection.
• The estimated cost of the project is Rs 2820 crore.
• The Minister referred to construction of Eastern and Western Peripheral Expressway around Delhi, which have brought over 27 percent reduction in commercial traffic.
• Gadkari announced that the 90 km Delhi-Meerut Express Highway will be operational by April 2019.
• He informed that work on Dwarka Expressway is being taken up at a cost of Rs 10,000 crore and work on Saharanpur Express Road has started.
Malaysia stripped of right to host 2019 World Para Swimming Championships over Israel stance
• Malaysia was stripped of the right to host the 2019 World Para Swimming Championships for threatening to refuse to allow Israeli athletes to take part in the event.
• The International Paralympic Committee announced the decision after the Malaysian authorities failed to provide the necessary guarantees that Israeli Para swimmers could participate safely in the Championships, free from discrimination.
• IPC President Andrew Parsons said when a host country excludes athletes from a particular nation, and then they have absolutely no alternative but to look for a new Championships host.
• The championships, a qualifying event for the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics, were due to take place in Kuching, Malaysia during July 29-August 4, 2019.
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurates Atal Setu in Goa
• Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated four-lane 5.1-kilometer long “Atal Setu”, the third Cable Bridge across river Mandovi in Panaji, Goa.
• Infrastructure works worth Rs 15000 crore have been sanctioned for the state of Goa.
• This is the third bridge across Mandovi River.
• This bridge would overcome the bottlenecks and curb traffic jams at Panaji Circle and Panaji entrance.
• It is reported that about 66,000 vehicles use this route every day.
I&B Ministry to increase advertisement rates by 11% to private TV channels
• Information and Broadcasting Ministry decided to revise the advertisement rates offered by the Bureau of Outreach and Communication (BOC) to private TV channels.
• The revision would lead to an increase in rates of around 11 percent over the rates of 2017 in respect of most of the private TV channels.
• It could be of higher percentage for some others, as per their reach and TV ratings.
• The decision will also make it easier for TV channels to be empanelled with BOC to take advantage of the higher rates.
• The revised rates were announced on the basis of a Review Committee constituted by the Ministry which submitted its report on January 1, 2019.
Djokovic beats Nadal to win his seventh Australian Open title
• Novak Djokovic defeated Rafael Nadal to win his 7th Australian Open Men's Singles title at Melbourne.
• Djokovic outplayed the second-ranked Nadal 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 in a largely one-sided match.
• With this, Djokovic surpassed American legend Pete Sampras to elevate himself to outright third on the all-time Grand Slam title leaderboard.
• Earlier, In Women's Singles, Japan's Naomi Osaka clinched her maiden Australian Open Grand Slam Singles title in Melbourne. Osaka defeated Petra Kvitova of Czech Republic 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 in the summit clash.
Suresh Prabhu announces UDAN 3.0 results
• The Union Minister for Civil Aviation and Commerce, Suresh Prabhu on January 27, 2019 announced the results of Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik (UDAN) Scheme.
• Prabhu also handed over the letters of award to successful Airlines.
• Following two successful rounds of bidding, the Ministry of Civil Aviation launched the largest bidding round under the highly successful UDAN Scheme, also integrating a number of iconic tourism sites in coordination with the Ministry of Tourism.
• UDAN 3 includes Tourism Routes under in coordination with the Ministry of Tourism; Seaplanes for connecting Water Aerodromes, and brings a number of routes in the North-East Region under the ambit of UDAN.
• Initially, 16 unserved airports, 17 underserved airports, 6 water aerodromes and 50 served airports would be connected based on the proposals identified for award.
Madhya Pradesh announced Yuva Swabhiman Yojana
• Madhya Pradesh Government announced the Yuva Swabhiman Yojana to provide employment for the unemployed youth from the economically weaker sections of the society.
• It aims to provide employment to the youth belonging to the weaker section of the society mainly in urban areas of the state.
• The scheme aims to provide 100 days of employment to youngsters from economically weaker sections of the society in urban areas.
• The youths would also be given skill training by the government.
• The component of skill training has been added to enable the youth to explore the available opportunities.