Gurdeep Singh on 28 January 2016 was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of NTPC Ltd.
Singh will be the first person to be appointed to the top job at a Maharatna company through a search committee route.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the appointment of Singh for a period of five years from the date of assumption of charge of the post.
The post of chairman and managing director at NTPC fell vacant after Arup Roy Choudhury completed his five year term on 31 August 2015.
Who is Gurdeep Singh?
• Gurdeep Singh is currently serving as the managing director of Gujarat State Electricity Company Limited (GESC).
• He started his career in NTPC in 1987.
• He was earlier associated with Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation, Powergen and IDFC Projects in different capacities.
• During his tenure at GESC, Singh spearheaded several key reforms in Gujarat, the major being innovative solar power programmes such as the solar power plant over the Sardar Sarovar canal.
About NTPC Limited
• NTPC Limited was founded in November 1975 as National Thermal Power Corporation Private Limited.
• It is an Indian Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSU) under the Ministry of Power, Government of India, engaged in the business of generation of electricity and allied activities.
• It is a company incorporated under the Companies Act 1956.
• The headquarters of the company is situated at New Delhi.
• NTPC's core business is generation and sale of electricity to state-owned power distribution companies and State Electricity Boards in India.
• In May 2010, NTPC was conferred Maharatna status by the Union Government of India.
• It is ranked 424th in the Forbes Global 2000 for 2014.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App