India on 28 January 2016 test fired its indigenously-built surface-to-air Akash missile from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).at Chandipuri in Odisha. It was as part of a user trial mission.
Three rounds of test were carried out by Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel aiming at para-barrel targets.
About Akash Missile
• The Akash (sky) is a mid-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) system.
• It is developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India under the integrated guided-missile development programme (IGMDP).
• IGMDP is also involved the development of the Nag, Agni and Trishul missiles and Prithvi ballistic missile.
• The first missile was delivered to the IAF in March 2012. The missile was formally inducted into the IAF in July 2015.
• The missile can fly at supersonic speeds ranging from Mach 2.8 to 3.5 and can engage aerial targets up to a range of approximately 25 kilometers.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Akash missile
What: Successfully test fired
When: 28 January 2016