The Basketball Federation of India (BFI) on 5 January 2017 announced that India will host the FIBA Women’s Asia Cup basketball tournament in July 2017.
The BFI has been allotted to host two international events in 2017, the FIBA Women’s Asia Cup and FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship.
This will be the first time since 2009 that India will be hosting a major International Basketball Federation (FIBA) event.
The FIBA Women’s Asia Cup will be held from 23 July to 29 July 2017 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
The FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship will be held from 22 to 28 October 2017 in Hyderabad, Telangana.
About FIBA Women’s Asia Cup
• The FIBA Women’s Asia Cup has been conducted regularly since 1965.
• It was previously referred to as the FIBA Asia Championship for Women.
• The competition is held once in two years. It is held on odd years (2011, 2013, 2015, and so on).
• The 2015 FIBA Women’s Asia Cup was held in Wuhan, China. Japan was the winner of the tournament.
About FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship
• The 2017 FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship will be the 6th competition for the U-16 Girls category.
• It will be hosted under the aegis of FIBA / FIBA Asia.
• The tournament was previously referred to as the FIBA Asia U-16 Championship for Girls.
• The competition is every other year on odd years.
• The 2015 FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship was held in Medan, Indonesia where China won the Gold and Japan grabbed the Silver.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.