Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature: Jairam Ramesh
A book titled Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature authored by Jairam Ramesh was released on 10 June 2017 at the Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum in New Delhi.
The book was launched by Congress president Sonia Gandhi in the presence of former ministers, bureaucrats and environmentalists.
The first copy of the book, published by Simon & Schuster, was presented to the Congress President, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former minister Karan Singh and Priyanka Gandhi.
About the book
• The book talks about Indiar Gandhi’s life-long communion with nature and how that defined her very being.
• In the book, Ramesh goes on to explain why and how she came to make a private passion a public calling; how her views on the environment remained steadfast even as her political and economic stances changed; how her friendships with conservationists led to far-reaching decisions to preserve India’s biodiversity, among other incidences.
• The book offers a lively, conversational narrative of a relatively little known but fascinating aspect of Indira Gandhi’s tumultuous life.
About Jairam Ramesh
• Born on 9 April 1954, Jairam Ramesh is an Indian economist and politician belonging to Indian National Congress.
• He has been serving as a Member of Parliament representing Andhra Pradesh state in the Rajya Sabha since June 2004.
• From May 2009 to July 2011, he served as the Indian Minister of State (Independent Charge) at the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
Where: New Delhi
When: 10 June 2017