The International Literacy Day was celebrated on 8 September 2015 across the world. The theme of International Literacy Day 2015 is Literacy and Sustainable Societies.
The theme was chosen to highlight the fact that literacy is a key element in achieving sustainable societies.
Further, the theme assumes significance as the world is gearing up to adopt the post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the UN General Assembly meeting scheduled to be held in September 2015.
About International Literacy Day
• First World Literacy Day was celebrated on 8 September 1966 and it was proclaimed by UNESCO in 1965.
• Every year a theme is chosen to highlight the importance of literacy associated issues.
• The theme for 2014 was Literacy and Sustainable Development.
• On this day, the UNESCO presents International Literacy Prizes at its headquarters in Paris.
• Literacy Prizes consists of five prizes viz., International Reading Association Literacy Award, Noma Literacy Prize, UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize, The Malcolm Adiseshiah International Literacy Prize and UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: Acroos the world
When: 8 September 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.