Karnataka cabinet on 6 December 2014 approved Child Protection Policy for Safe Schools in Karnataka. The cabinet approved the policy in wake of several child abuse incidents in schools and with an intention to provide safety to children in schools.
According to the Child Protection Policy
• School managements and staff will be responsible for the safety of children in their institutions.
• It covers all kinds of atrocities against children long with sexual harassment of Children.
• It will be applicable to all schools that is government, aided or non-aided and those that comes under CBSE, ICSE and other boards, including international schools. Even Pre-schools, coaching centres and private tuitions also come under the policy.
• The policy proposes that every school in the state should have its own child safety policy and mandatory checklists, besides facilities for emergency treatment in conformity to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) norms
• Proposes to constitute a Child Protection Committee (CPC) consisting of the principal, a senior teacher, one senior non-teaching staff, student representatives, parents and an external person from the neighbourhood
• Apart from the principal, every school will have to nominate a child protection officer (CPO) from among the teaching or non-teaching staff.
When: 6 December 2014